New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which 300 Magnum??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Which 30 magnum would you suggest, and why? I would like one which will shoot out to 500 or 600 yards or so. I would think that deer and elk would be the primary game species hunted.

Thanks,
ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dutch. When deer are the object I dont think the mags offer anything over an 06 or a 308 because you dont need more than a 150 gn bullet to reliably drop them in their tracks.

The rest is highly subjective as none of the mags are head and shoulders above the rest.

I personally tend to gravitate towards a 30/338 or one of the short mags.

Been thinking about making my Springfield a gibbs for a bit more poop too. That offers the efficency of a short mag in a standard case, the downside is fireforming and the need for custom ammo.

Ill probably just keep it original though because a 180 @ 2750 fs will kill a Bull Elk at any range that I would shoot one at as long as I do my part.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 300 magnums? Whichever one you can shoot accurately at that distance. Being able to place your shot is what I would consider to be of most importance. All things being equal and if I could shoot the 300wsm through 30-378 weatherby equally well....I would pick the fastest, most powerful that I could shoot accurately with. Of the 300 mags I shoot a 300 rum and 300 winnie mag.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote