THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can I have a list of pumps and levers?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I have a list of pumps and levers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As either one is likely to do the job I want, I just need to choose caliber, and narrow my choices.
I think .243 may be a bit light for deer, so I am going to not include that one.Just fine most of the time, not so good if things are not perfect.
Max range will realistically be maybe 250 yards.
And I don't want to get punched around unnecessarily, no 300 win mags.

So, remington pump in 30-06 or 270 works. Browing lever 308...
what else?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you've your older Winchester levers in '06 and 405 Win, newer Win 94 levers in 307, 356, 375, Win 88 levers in a bunch of calibers(if you can find them), Savage 99 levers in a bunch of calibers, newer Marlin 336's in hot new cartridges, BLR's like you said, Rem 760 & 7600 in tons of calibers, Rem 141 35 Remington(maybe), Savage 170 in 30-30, Browning BPR(Browning Pump Rifle) in a bunch of calibers, hmmm...

That's a start anyway.

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In lever guns there's also the Winchester Model 71 in .348. There're two versions, the original Win and a more recent Browning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, hell. My head is spinning.
Too many choices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a savage 99 in .308.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BLR comes in a pile of calibers also.

I think you will find that the 270 or 308 will suffice and likely exceed your needs. It's hard to beat the venerable 30-06.

I would stay away from the new Marlin cartidges. There just isn't enough market for them to last much more than a few years.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLR`s are slick and accurate.Should be able to get one in your choice of caliber.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me, I'd stick with something readily available, either a BLR in 308 or 30-06. Same with a Remington pump. Simple on either selection.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLR in a 7mm-08 would be a very nice rifle for you - but the factory triggers are pretty heavy. Best be would probably be a Rem 760 or 7600 in a 30'06, 270, or 308 though. Surprisingly accurate and very comfortable to carry. With either of those 3 calibers, you'd be set for all of them!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One can pick some very nice savage 99s they are a great rifle.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually? Restricting yourself to 250yards?

I'd consider a Remington pump in either 30-06 or (better yet) 35whelen to be the perfect thing for anything up to and including Moose or Elk.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new marlin 308 and 338 calibers with the longer 24 inch barreled models would be good to consider also.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the Winchester Mod 88 in .308. If you can find a good reasonably pirced used one I would jump on it like a duck on a june bug.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to get a Rem pump. First choice would be .270, then 30-06, then .308.

I actually think they are just about the most ugly gun I have ever seen. However I do a little gun work, and I can do something with the stocks to make it a little easier to look at.
I think for Eastern game any of these would be very good.

One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
I too recently switched from a 243 for my deer hunting. While it killed deer, I got tired of not leaving a blood trail. This coupled with a recent change to hunting in thicker cover than I used to provided a reason (excuse Big Grin ) to buy a new a rifle.

I got a BLR in a 358 Win. It is a great little gun that works well for the hunting that I do (thick cover and shots under 150 yards). There is little recoil and I no longer have to worry about a blood trail.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
I think I am going to get a Rem pump. ...I actually think they are just about the most ugly gun I have ever seen. However I do a little gun work, and I can do something with the stocks to make it a little easier to look at. ...
Hey Frank, They do make it with a Synthetic Stock. Then have it Parkerized or Coated with one of the current protective finishes and you have a really excellent Bad Weather rifle.

What were you planning on doing to the Termite Food?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What were you planning on doing to the Termite Food?

I would see if I could start with rough replacement stocks and give them some character. Give it some graceful lines instead of what it has. Then some decorative and functional checkering.
I would probably paint the wood simply because I like what can be done with some paint. Effective camo doesn't have to look like photos of leaves.

Awesome idea about treating the metal, BTW.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember some of the older models had a Monte Carlo option at one time. I never really understood that idea on these rifles - unless - they intended it for the guys who were going to put a scope on it.

I think I mentioned to you that I have Williams Fire Sights on my 444Mar XLR. They are a serious improvement over the regular Iron Sights. Had considered some kind of 1oz Reflex Red Dot Sight for it, but now I'm pretty happy the way it is.

Oh yes, if you use a real one-piece Weaver Base, when you remove the scope, there is a nice wide groove down the middle of the Base which allows you to see the Iron Sights. Same with the two-piece Bases. But, you probably know that already.

For what it is worth, I'd go with the 30-06 or 35Whe version. The 308Win is a great cartridge, but since the Action is no shorter for it and since you could load the 30-06 to 308Win levels, the 30-06 would get my attention.

Best of luck with the paint job.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote