New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Dakota buck
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
heres my buck I just took from South Dakota I used a .25/06 topped w a leupold 2.5x8. The rifle is a 1909 argentine I built while in gunsmithing school. The shot was at less than 20 yards using 120 grain nosler partitions. I shot him 2 inches below the white patch on his throat and the bullet eneter the ribs under the front shoulder and ended up in his lungs....he still ran over 100 yards.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Are you going to go with a bigger gun next time? Just kidding! It's amazing how much they can take.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
steve, that is a very nice whitetail. Kind of interesting how much he looks like a buck I took a couple of years ago. I love high tines like those.

nice going!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it looks alot like this 2005 muzzleloader buck I took about 200 yards away from the first deer pictured. I like to hunt that area.
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What part of the state did you take him?

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
skb:

Was this a self-guided, or a guided hunt?

Just curious as I have often heard that you can hunt the great western states on your own...I just haven't had the balls to do it on my own yet.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phenomenal tine length on those deer! congrats on a couple of very fine bucks!

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great deer - congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much gentlemen. The hunt is guided on one of the indian reservations. Hunting the west is possible, but difficult on your own. Pm for info on hunting out west and I'll try to help answer your questions.
Steve