THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Rio Grande Turkey - near Victoria, Texas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rio Grande Turkey - near Victoria, Texas
 Login/Join

posted
I had gone out on opening day here (March 15th)and saw about 5 or 6 jakes. I prefer the jakes grow up so I passed on a shot. The last one I saw never did see me and he actually walked about 8 or 10 feet from me as he was heading to the roost. I had scheduled to go back this past weekend, but got sick and couldn't make it.

I decided to take the day off today and drove down from Houston. I got out into the field and got set up just after 7AM. Called once, no answer. Waited a few minutes and called again. A gobbler responded from what seemed like over 100 yards away.

I had no sooner called a second time when six jakes came out of the woods and into the clearing I was at the edge of. One of the youngsters actually was running toward my decoy. Just when I thought it was another wasted effort, two gobblers followed the jakes out.

The dominant one went into full strut and was actually drumming the ground as he walked toward my sexy hen decoy. I let them get within about 30 yards or so and hammered the leader.

I didn't weigh him but his beard was 9 3/8" long. Spurs weren't that good. Not the biggest I've shot, nor the most difficult shot (It was 33 yards.), but probably the fastest - I hadn't been set up more than 5 minutes or so when I dropped him.

http://smg.photobucket.com/use...zps3397a897.jpg.html

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats....

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Heck ya! Congrats!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

I am hoping for me one next weekend .

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexKD:
Good for you.

I am hoping for me one next weekend .

Good luck with it Tex. As of Friday, they were really gobbling and coming the call well - at least in Victoria.

Where do you plan on hunting them?

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Them Rio's love to gobble-----I love hunting them. Conglads on the dandy gobbler---Bob

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
We're seeing them in the Guadalupe River bottom above Cuero.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
We're seeing them in the Guadalupe River bottom above Cuero.

I hunted them South of Cuero for years - along Coletto Creek. I never saw another turkey hunter in Cuero all the time I hunted there, but lost my lease about 3 years ago. Sure do miss eating at Don Bravo's - best Tex Mex I've ever eaten.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had these gobblers (plus a gang of hens and a couple of jakes) in the yard of my ranch house for the last month. Can't seem to get the grandson loose from Little League baseball long enough to come shoot one. They'll gobble back at any kind of noise you make, to the point that it is almost comical.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I've had these gobblers (plus a gang of hens and a couple of jakes) in the yard of my ranch house for the last month. Can't seem to get the grandson loose from Little League baseball long enough to come shoot one. They'll gobble back at any kind of noise you make, to the point that it is almost comical.

NICE paintbrushes on those big boys!!!

Jim