New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scouting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did something yesterday that I wish I did 10 years ago and that was scouting for elk by helicopter. I was amazed by how many creeks, clear cuts, meadows and elk. Here the best part, it only cost me fifty bucks for two hour flight. I can't wait till November. Anybody else use this method?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aerial views and photographs are some of the best ways to get an Idea od the lay of the land and also travel corridors and choke points.
Did you take photographs?
Did you have a topographic map or GPS with you?

As far as scouting active/individual animals in order to see individuals well enough to rough score, you are going to be low enough that you will frighten them and that is not good for you to be able to go back and hunt a specific bull.

Good Luck
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy did you get a good deal on the Helicopter, it is normally around $400 per hour plus fuel.

But you are right it is a grewat way to see your hunting area. It gives you a good perspective.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try terraserver.com. It's the poor man's helicopter ride. Okie John.