Find
Notify
Tools

moose hide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

I'm preparing for my moose hunt here in Maine in a few week's time. Wondering what value (if any) a moose hide has and what I can do with it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeff,

First congratulations on drawing a coveted Maine moose tag. The moose hide is actually very nice. The fall coat will be slick, shiny and quite attractive. Since the chance of drawing another tag are not high I definitely would retrieve it and get it tanned. Make a rug or a thrown for your couch. I shot quite a few moose in my years living in AK. I never brought out a skin because the weight of packing it was not worth it and I always thought I'd another one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
I had mine made into a coat. It came out absolutely beautiful. As it was a custom job, I had it made to order, with extras like heavy duty zippers, quilted lining and a concealed carry pocket. I am very glad I didn't just pitch it.

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
I had mine made into a coat. It came out absolutely beautiful. As it was a custom job, I had it made to order, with extras like heavy duty zippers, quilted lining and a concealed carry pocket. I am very glad I didn't just pitch it.

KG

Who did the work? That sounds nice!

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have it tanned into leather (no hair). You can the have it made into multiple sets of mittens, just add a wool liner. Also it makes excellent slippers or mocasins, lots of them. Thick long wearing leather.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I'm in WMD 3 for anyone who may care, first week, bull only.

Would I have the butcher do the hide removal and would I ask for the legs too?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
BG, I sent the hide to Uber Tanning in MN. They did a great job. Turn around was not exactly quick, but I wasn't in any hurry.

JSL, I'd just keep it simple, and tell them you want the entire hide skinned out, rolled up and frozen.

Good luck on your hunt.

KG

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL, my Maine moose had a big old bald spot right up on top the shoulders.
I skinned it out where it fell (had to!) then carried it out among the 5+ loads.
Froze it until I had the time and regained my strength.
Then fleshed, salted and worked in a dry tan preservative.
Tried nailing it up to dry, but weighed so much me, it, and the ladder kept ending up in a heap! Kept pulling out the first few nails I'd get started. (HEAVY)

FINALLY got it up there.
Been nailed up inside the barn for 9 years now, looking like a BIG, hairy sheet of plywood!

A buddy had his turned into a bedspread.Said he'd put it on his kids and they COULDN"T get out of bed until he let them out!

Good luck ,and ENJOY every second, from the planning to the memories!

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've braintanned a couple of deer hides and it was a ton of work but they turned out nice. A couple years ago I decided to tan a moose hide. I can't even describe the physical labour involved. Anyhow it's been dehaired and the epidermis has been scraped and of course I've got the flesh side nice and clean. That must have taken about 150 hours and I'm not kidding. This year I hope to have time to finish it.

This has really been a lesson for me and I'm in awe of the natives who did this with stone tools. That said I'll have a nice brain tanned moose jacket some day!!

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
I've braintanned a couple of deer hides and it was a ton of work but they turned out nice. A couple years ago I decided to tan a moose hide. I can't even describe the physical labour involved. Anyhow it's been dehaired and the epidermis has been scraped and of course I've got the flesh side nice and clean. That must have taken about 150 hours and I'm not kidding. This year I hope to have time to finish it.

This has really been a lesson for me and I'm in awe of the natives who did this with stone tools. That said I'll have a nice brain tanned moose jacket some day!!

the chef

Wow. Props to you for your hard work, and if you ever get it done, it'll be an heirloom. That said, I'm glad I did it the way I did. I feel it wouldn't have been a good investment of my time, even if I had the room and resources. A month of full-time work? Shoot, you're a better man than me. I saw the UPS man, and shipped off ole Rainbow's hide, along with a sheet of specs and whatnot. 10 months later, I paid the invoice and my coat was in my hands. In casually doing the math, had I done it myself as you are with your time involved, I'd be getting around two bucks an hour for my labor for what I paid to have it done, at best. My time is worth a little more than that! Wink

Best of luck getting it done. Truly. I bet it's the last one you do, though. Smiler

Cheers,

KG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right about the $/hour thingy there's no way this would ever make sense. But think of the satisfaction when it's done.

Actually I would do another one! I'd not use the wet methods though, that hide is so heavy when it's wet I had to use a block and tackle to lift and move it. I'd lash it to a frame and do everything dry and while sitting on it-lol just like an old squaw.

cheers

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
CC: I like it, and good for you to do it on your own. Finished product wise, I bet the feeling you get is far beyond mine. That said, I guess the bottom line is that we're both happy, which is all that counts. Wink

Best,

KG