THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Is it to late to look for a cow elk hunt?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it to late to look for a cow elk hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know I could google it as they say but interested in Colorado or New Mexico. I would drive there and hopefully haul meat home in big ice chests. If you have advice or input I am willing to listen. Thanks in advance!

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
In Texas, elk are not considered game animals and are therefore exotics. So, there are many exotic ranches that can let you hunt an elk .
No cool air this time of year and no mountains, but you can shoot elk year round in Texas.
I will see if I can find a pic of one I shot two years ago in Texas.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
You will need to check with either state's Game Dept.

There might be some left over tags available.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The application period for antlerless permits in Utah is open until June 15. You can also buy over-the-counter bull tags.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Start with CO:

CPW as it's called now.

cpw.state.co.us

That's all I know at this time, Haven't hunted in 5 yrs now.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a very good chance that at some point Colorado will have left-over cow tags available. Don't ask me when - my crystal ball is foggy. Keep an eye on the Colorado DOW site and sooner or later they will show up.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Non-residents can't apply for cow elk tags here, so don't worry about the draw. However, you can purchase landowner vouchers for cow elk. I suspect some are still available. You can choose to go through an outfitter who will make the connection for you and set things up, or you can just start blind calling landowners on the NM Game and Fish website to see who's got something to sell. I've done that in the past with success.

Take a look here for more information:
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.u...s/elk-private-lands/

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you didn't mention Utah but their application period goes for another week.
Just a thought... which can be disregarded if unwanted.
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! Will be on the phone, on the road working now. I have a hauling business, be home soon.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
You can easily get a landowner tag in Utah. I've got a connection who sells about 60 cow permits on his ranches. Let me know if interested and I'll get his number for you.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS,

My wife and I would be interested in a cow elk tag outside of our home state of CO. I would be interested in his phone number/email/website if you have it.

Thanks!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
PM's sent to those who requested the info.

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend with some cow hunts in Colorado for $2500. and that includes the license, tag, guide, lodging, beer and refreshments, breakfast, I hunt there most years including the last 3 or 4 years, and so far its been 100% on cows, usually be day one or two as a matter of fact..I think those lic. and tags cost him $400. I think its a good deal and I pay for my hunt. the lodge is in the town of Walsenburg and his 88,000 private acres come to the city limits..Two good resurants in town, Lodge is comfortable but not real fancy, Its an old elks lodge redone a bit. Private rooms.

Its fairly easy hunting in low rolling ceder hills, and lots of elk, deer and some of the biggest Antelope Ive ever seen..

I book some hunts in trade for hunting and some times trade him a horse or rifle for a couple of elk. I have no idea if he is interested in trades with anyone else, probably not.

Bull hunts are $5400. but usually sold out by now.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote