New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Deer in Kentucky
 Login/Join

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I just read in the paper today some dipstick in Kentucky shot a huge deer. Put it in the back of his pickup and drove around town showing it off - only problem was, it was an elk.
He's now facing an $8,000 fine and a year in jail.

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Who remembers the incident in Wyoming where somebody's pack horse was mistaken for a cow elk and blasted? Some people shouldn't breed.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
I can't remember where I read the article but there was a guy who shot the biggest doe he had ever seen and took it to the taxidermist to have it mounted. The taxidermist told him he couldn't mount his deer and the guy asked why he couldn't and the taxidermist said because its a Llama. Apparently it had gotten loose from a nearby Llama "Ranch".

<monyhunter>
posted
Two quick stories along these same lines.

Two weeks ago a guy that works next to me told me the story of his brother-in-law's elk hunt this year. He saw an elk that was in some thick brush off about 80 yards. He waited for about 20 minutes while he watched it through his 3x9 scope and waited for a good shot. After he shot it and walked up to it the darn thing turned into a bull moose. He did turn himself in and I am still waiting to see what happens to him. I think he is waiting his court date now.

Next one is of my uncle that lives in Victor Idaho. It is on the Idaho side of the Grand Tetons. He is a major elk hunter and always takes a few weeks to pack in with mules and horses. He is always very careful to put plenty of hunter's orange on his animals. One year the horse he was riding fell down out from under him.....dead. Then he heard the shot. Next to go was one of his pack mules. They scrabled for cover behind the fallen animals (don't remember who was all with him) and the hunters would not stop shooting until my uncle started shooting back and yelling at the top of his lungs. I don't know what ever happened after that. I am going to ask next time I see him.

------------------
Monyhunter

<WyomingSwede>
posted
What an idiot...mistaking an elk for a deer is like mistaking Pee Wee Herman for a sumo wrestler. Definitely not the deep end of the gene pool...and the guy is 38 yrs old. Can you believe it??? I hope that they burn him. regards swede

------------------
WyomingSwede

one of us
posted Hide Post
how about the group of puerto rican hunters in NYS that shot a cow, and brought it all the way back to the bronx/brooklyn thinking it was a hunge deer....

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We had one here in Utah several years back, where an out of state hunter rode horseback to get in to his hunting area, made the circuit around the mountain he was on, and shot his own horse.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
It was over 30 years ago. I answered the 'phone and the voice of a man I knew asked: "Hey, whut looks like a deer n's got horns down to its ass???" I thought ("Oh, nooo") and said his description matched that of an elk --why did he ask? He responded that he'd shot one because it had been eating his corn. I asked if he'd salvaged the meat. No, came the answer, it was still layin' down at the end of the field.

This was the end of Indiana's premature experiment in trying to re-establish the elk at the far eastern end of its former range. Some 20 or so elk had been purchased and released in a rugged park in this area. The locals had them killed and eaten in short order, except for a few strays. The best I can determine, he'd shot the last of those.

Moral: Noble experiments often end ignobly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure everyone has seen the post card where the hunter is confronting the cowboy and the cowboy is saying: "Okay, okay, take your elk but let me take my saddle off first".

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ol'Sarge,
Take it easy on us folks from Kentucky. Remember our family trees run short on branches, that makes clear thinking hard from time to time.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Saarge;
Back in 1969 when I hunted Fort Knox for the first time, we were warned quite sternly about identifying our target. It seems some yahoo the year before had taken a goat to the check out station. At least they were close to the same size. You know how you can tell a rich Kentuckian? By the number of junked cars in the front yard! And yes I can say that, I was born and lived in Kentucky for 25 years until I came to my senses and moved to the Sunny Side of Louisville, lowering the average IQ of both states

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore,
My junks are in my back yard. What does that make me? Maybe I don't want to know!!!
Bryan

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Ol' Sarge,
Aw shucks, I was hoping to hear about a monster white-tail. Not everyone in Kentucky is that stupid. There surely must be some inbreeding still going on in the "hollers" of Eastern Kentucky. In places like Harlan and Hazard I have seen the men folk sitting around outside the IGA while their women folk do the grocery shopping. The men folk whittle and spit and show off their revolvers to each other while the women folk trade. Quaint.

Big Bore,
So you are a Hoosier now, eh? New Albany, Clarksville, or Jeffersonville? Those three cluster across the Ohio River from Louisville. I can't imagine why it would be called the sunny side of Louisville.
I lived in New Albany, Indiana and Shelbyville, Indiana for a time, quaint places in their own way.

Eastern Kentucky is deep in the Appalachian "Mountains," and things are a bit strange there for sure. Besides coal they don't have much else in those "hollers." Wealth comes from the land. Those "hollers" aren't much for farming, so it is a testimonial to the toughness of the people (or hard headedness) that they have eeked out an existence to this day.

I am from Kentucky and find parts of it pretty wierd myself. I like it though, especially after just having spent half a year working in New England. At least the people here are not as crowded together and diseased as they are in some other places.

The reintroduction of elk into Eastern Kentucky seems to be going well, but I do wonder if it will really become a lasting part of the scheme of things with yayhoos bumping the elk off in adjoining states too when they walk out onto golf courses, etc.

Black bears are coming back into the state now, with sightings from the highways down near the Tennessee border, and in the Daniel Boone National Forest. And the wild hogs are moving in there from the Smokies too, though the wildlife managers are making an effort to kill off the pigs before they spoil the natural habitat.

Kentucky once was "The Dark and Bloody Ground" where the Indian tribes did not live but went to fight their wars and hunt the herds of elk, bison, and other game that was plentiful before civilization came with the white man.

The Indians would not live here. They must have been Hoosiers too.

------------------
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 12-01-2001).]

<Bill>
posted
Curtis,

I know what you mean about some of these NYC hunters.

I stopped big game gun hunting in the whole state because they let people from the city in. Not all (noone take offense to any of this), but some of these guys are complete wackos. Most of their big game hunting experince is reserved to canned boar in PA and if they are real serious a baited black bear that dresses out under 100 lbs.

One of these guys I know always told me about the 500lb canadian black bears he kills every year, I saw pictures from his last 5 years of hunting and it looked like he cut down a small herd of young Black Labs, the heaviest bear couldn't have weighed more then 150-170 lbs. We sat there and argued about the taco bell dog he was showing me for 20 minutes before he would conceed it only weighted 350 lbs

A lot of these always claim to have killed a "beautiful six pointer" every year, never see any pictures though.

And man, do the 'serious' ones love caribou, poor canadian guide, my heart goes out to you!

FYI, we call the BAR in 338 with a 50 mm scope sitting in see-thru mounts (they LOVE see-thru mounts) the "Brooklyn Uzi" out here.

Good Hunting

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 12-01-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
7x57---Like it or not my friend, that makes you an Honorary HOOSIER!

RAB---Jeff is about right, but not quite in Sellersberg either, kind of a bastard area that nobody wants. It's been over ten years since they came up with the advertising slogan about Jeff and Clarksville being the Sunny Side of Louisville, but between you and me, I really don't think it's any "sunnier" over here than it is over in Louisville

[This message has been edited by Big Bore (edited 12-01-2001).]

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
7X57 and Bwana Ron,

I weren't pickin' on ya'll Kentuckians, I wuz jus' relatin' what I read in the newspaper.

Fact is my Great Grandaddy moved to the Ozarks with his fith wife (He 68, she 22) and 27 kids (Several were older than his wife)in 1870 from Harlan County.

Maybe we're kin?

------------------
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.

[This message has been edited by Ol' Sarge (edited 12-01-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Bore,
I've been called some awful things in my life but I am going to draw the line at being called a Hoosier. Tell me does it have anything to do with my junk cars being in the back yard? I'll crank up the old tractor and drag em out front if it will get me of the Hoosier list.
Bryan

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Ole Davy Crocket was from Kentucky but didn't have the good sense to stay there.
No-sir-re he had to go to Texas & git himself kilt! Them branches are short.

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
7x57; Yup, that thar draggin o' da cars into da back yurd pretty much makes ya a bon-e-fied Hoosier, but iffen ya got yar warshing machine on da front stoop, that cinches it! You know our Hoosier State Motto don't you? Where men are men and sheep are nervous!

(I keep talking like this and they are going to run me out of town on a rail, can you imagine what Saeed is thinking about us "crazy Americans" about now?)

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hell Big Bore! You keep talking like that you can run for govenor in Louisiana & stand a good chance of winning!

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-02-2001).]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote