New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is it ? wolf?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
oshkosh wisconsin area.hunter bow hunting shoots a few days before todays date what he thought was a yot just outside ciy limits.DNR reads hunter the riot act.DNR sends body to madison for testing.turns out that city police where following this animal for several hours inside city limits before it gets shot by bow hunter.now look at paper headlines for todays date, sat Jan 08. sorry no way to put picture on web. go to www.thenorthwestern.com .read item ,look at picture. we are by lake winnebago, central wisconsin.what is it?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post

Well what ever it is since it is in town in broad daylight letting people take photos of it, it may be rabid or have distemper. Perhaps someones 'pet', the angle of the photo kind of shows it with a pointy snout like a coyote and not a big blocky wolf head. No mention on what it weighed, looks like it carries a prime pelt though!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cross breed between yote and dog or yote and wolf. Rumors has it a yote wolf cross was killed by stevens Point wis earlier this fall.

Yote face wolf dog body

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fat coyote to me. I have seen some like that locally. (SW Missouri) of course that had been eating dead hogs dumped by a local hag farm.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If it was indeed a wolf or variation thereof, the DNR should send the bowhunter a bounty/reward instead of thinking about fining the guy... Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolf or possible dog cross..but mostly Wolf.
Ann..prolly hit the nail on the head someones pet. There are people in the States that are cross-breeding with huskies and selling them as tamer version of Wolf. The old exotic bug strikes again!

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a coyote to me but without something to judge it's size against it's hard to say, they do have wolves in wisconsin though.

When I still lived in Michigan there was a guy who shot a wolf, and said he thought it was a coyote. The basically killed him lost his hunting privelages permanently, and was fined $25,000 and got a few years in prison. From doing a little searching around the net it seems they've eased up a bit. Not sure currently but at the time the maximum sentence was up to 10 years and/or $100,000. About like alligator here in SC.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-166890--,00.html

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I saw a lot of wolves when I was in N.MN, and that looks like a wolf to me. A guy killed a huge coyote in the Big Horns several years ago it turned out to be a wolf, he couldn't be prosecuted because officially there are no wolves in the Big Horns....the Feds wanted to hang him but couldn't!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like someones well fed pet to me.

Also, I used to work with breed and sold hybred wolf pups

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just recently friend of mine, trapper/hunter/taxidermist, caught a coyote that is something in the weight range of 45 lbs and is very similar to the one pictured on this thread. Would say coyote w/ heavy winter fur coat, perhaps well fed, but may be ill/sick to be in those surroundings as shown. We currently have a large population of coyote in West Virginia and doubt that we will ever be able to control their numbers without lots of effort by all concerned. Lots of cover, remote areas for the east and State is something like 90%forrested so kind of a natural setting for easter coyote poplations. I plan on working on that problem this Spring.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DaGriz
posted Hide Post
I'm betting that's a coydog, I've caught a couple of them here in the UP of Michigan. They live with the coyotes only freequent the edge of town as they seem to crave human contact. Fur buyers won't pay anything for them and the mess up a good coyote set.

Seems people get tired of there German Sherpard or other similar dog and just drop them off out in the country Happens quite a bit up here during skiing and snowmobiling. Arseholes for downstae just drop off their unwanted animals.

Posts: 81 | Location: South Shore of Gitchie Gummi | Registered: 31 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
A 45 pound coyote wouldn't be unusual in places I have lived. This female (look closely) that I snared weighed 35 pounds. Males will certainly weigh much more than that.

This second one, also a female, was 39 pounds. My female lab only weighs 50 pounds.

BTW- That's one of my cats in the top picture 'protecting me'. She hates wild k-9's. These were from Michigan.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just heard after weeks of DNA testing the DNR says it is a Wolf. And they are being nice to the shooter and only fineing him 361.00 dollars.
He has plead not quilty.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a coyote...I don't believe the DNA croc, somebodys is scaming us...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Here's what it says in "The Oshkosh Northwestern"

Posted February 16, 2008

DNR: Animal killed near Oshkosh was a gray wolf

By Jennifer K. Woldt
of The Northwestern

Laboratory tests by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources determined an animal shot by a hunter in Winnebago County was a gray wolf and not a dog-wolf hybrid, the DNR announced Friday.

The wolf was killed in the town of Nekimi on Dec. 29 by an archery hunter, after having been spotted in Oshkosh and the surrounding area in previous days. Although initial inspection of the animal indicated it was not a coyote, officials needed to wait for the DNR to perform laboratory tests to determine whether it was a wolf or a hybrid.

DNR officials have decided to levy the minimum fine of $306.30 against Richard P. Klemm, 40, of Brandon, but will not revoke his license. Officials said Klemm was cooperative and did not attempt to hide or conceal the incident, which would have resulted in more severe penalties.

"It was a difficult enforcement decision when someone turns themselves in," conservation warden supervisor Todd Schaller said. "That's always a difficult decision. But there's still the facts remaining of what happened."

Klemm was issued a Natural Resource Citation for taking a protected species, which is a civil citation that is no different than a traffic ticket. While there is the option to charge Klemm criminally, Schaller said the DNR decided not to do that because Klemm was cooperative.

"The individual has their day in court," Schaller said. "I guess that would be the next step for us potentially, to work with the courts and the district attorney's office to close this case."

Winnebago County is not traditional or normal wolf range, but statewide DNR offices often received calls of possible wolf sightings outside normal wolf range. It is not uncommon for young wolves to roam hundreds of miles outside their normal range, Schaller said.

The known wolf packs closest to Winnebago County are the Menomonie Reservation to the north and Wisconsin Rapids area to the west. The gray wolf was removed from the endangered and threatened species list in March 2007.

Jennifer K. Woldt: (920) 426-6676 or jwoldt@thenorthwestern.com.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coyote with a very nice winter coat.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote