Find
Notify
Tools

Polar Bear Hunting Threatened
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the US cannot stop Polar Bear Hunting as it is not legal in the US anyway. The US can only stop importation of Polar Bear Hides by citizens.

No additional Bears have been killed since the US allowed importation. The Canadian Government and the First Nations set the quota and even now more Bears are bieng killed on Quota and as pests than are being taken by hunters.

In the past the Inupiats shot and killed Polar Bears and sold their hides to Japan for fly tying materials. I have heard for as low as CAN$200.

This is a Grandstand Play that will not save the life of one Polar Bear but will cost the residents of the High Arctic a livelihood.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Trust the good bunny huggers of San Francisco to do this. Totally misguided.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well the US cannot stop Polar Bear Hunting as it is not legal in the US anyway. The US can only stop importation of Polar Bear Hides by citizens.

Polar Bear hunting is legal for native Alaskans. That may be restricted to certain communities though.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Actually, if you read the complaint and the relief sought, the complaint does not have anything to do with hunting nor does it ask for USFWS to do anything other than file their 90 day preliminary findings as to the current warranted status of the polar bear, as much as I hate groups like Greenpeace, my hats are off to them for kicking Gale Norton in the arse!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I have a nice Polar Bear Rug for sale for someone who wants to pick it up in Quebec. I can also ship across Canada or to any country where you can legally import one. Proper export papers will be provided. Since this is not a hunted trophy, export to the U.S. will not be possible.

If anyone is interested, please p.m. me with your e-mail for photos and details.

I may eventually post it in the classifieds, but for now I am in no rush to sell it- it looks great on the wall.