THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking For Wisconsin Bear Guide Zone A for 2011

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking For Wisconsin Bear Guide Zone A for 2011
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My dad and I both drew our first bear tags for zone a for this fall. Starting to look around for a guide. Looking for suggestions from hunters that have used the recommended guides. Looking for a fulltime real guide. Not someone who owns some hounds or runs some bait piles behind his house. Want a guide who is connected to a reputable taxidermist and has quick access a walk in cooler.

I am not a trophy hunter. I don't care how big a trophy an animal is utilizing the meat is more important. As for the bear I am looking for I will be happy with a nice representative Wisconsin black bear as long as the hide is good. I won't shoot a dink but after waiting six years for a tag and never having shot a bear before I won't be too picky.

I am open to any hunting method. Would like to run one with dogs but would be willing to sit bait as well. Ain't too fond of tree stands so a ground blind would be preferred or a large elevated platform type stand. My dad is limited as to how he hunts. He cannot get around as well as he used to. Due to diabetes he has no feeling in his feet plus he has a bunch of hardware in one ankle. So walking any distance on uneven ground is not doable. I am hoping to find a guide that could accommodate this. He would need a bait site that is accessible by atv or short easy walk. Tree stand is definitely out but an elevated stand with stairs would be doable. As for running one with dogs that could possible work as well. He does have a disabled hunting permit. He can shoot from a road or vehicle. If a bear was treed near a road or in an area that was accessible by atv he would be more than willing to shoot a bear over dogs. Figure bait would be a better choice for him but just want to see him have as many chances at a bear as possible. Don't know if he will ever draw another tag or be able to even sit over bait in the future.

Appreciate any input. Other than finding a the guide I just need to figure out how to pay for the hunt and hopefully the taxidermy bill. Never figured I would pull a tag with just 6 preference points. Oh well there are worse problems to have.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pm p dog shooter.He might be able to help you.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Join the Wisconsin Bear hunters Association.

Attend the banquet in Stevens Point in April.

Full time guide? for bears? In Wisconsin? One that can make a year round living in a 6 week season?

Fortunately the current bear season/hunting rules in Wisconsin make that almost impossible.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe full time is the wrong way to say it. I know that no one can make a living as a bear guide. But I am sure there are people who are fulltime guides for other critters that guide for bear. I figure if you making a living at guiding throughout the year you will have shit straight and know how to run a quality guide service. I just want a guide that takes things seriously and has a fulltime mentality about bear hunting. Want someone who approaches bear hunting/guiding as a lifestyle not a job. I have heard to many stories about "guides" who do nothing more than start dumping bait a month before season or have a pack of dogs that will just randomly chase anything.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Wisconsin,70 miles further west in Minnesota
is an opportunity to hunt with Bian Bachman and Arrowhead Wilderness outfitters.(www.ahwoutfitters.com)

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think about it.

About the only deer hunting in the state that is in demand is Buffalo county.

A guy might get a few cat hunters in the winter, its very difficult to get the tag in WI.

Not much money or demand for squirrel or rabbit guides. Maybe a few duck or goose hunters.

There is a demand for bear guides. Tags are easier to get.

A hound is a hound is a hound. Any man that tells you his dogs never chase off game has a 308 Win that pushes a 180 grain bullet 3300 fps.

Good luck in your bear hunt there are quality bear men in Wisconsin. I know and hunt with several. You need to contact some guys and go summer hunting with them. C&R. You will get to start to get an idea what goes on.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote