New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if you can import a legally taken wolf from Canada to the US? Do you need a CITIES permit?

While we are here, has anyone hunted wolves? What's it like? Please relate your stories exciting and mundane alike.

Thanks

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It should not be a problem. It is not a CITES species so I do not believe it will be an issue.

From what I've heard of most that have hunted them, they either pot them opportunistically, or run them down with snow machines.

I would think that they would be cool to spot and stalk on the tundra and then maybe call in the last bit to get them in range.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolves are a Cities species, when exporting to the U.S.

Don't forget that except for Alaska, I think that they are considered endangered in lower 48.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They can be hunted over a bait site and can also be called in. I was lucky and could call a bunch of them pretty close last winter in Ontario. Never saw them, though, only heard them howling. Exciting experience for me and a challenging game animal; would indeed love to get one!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Wolves are a Cities species, when exporting to the U.S.

Don't forget that except for Alaska, I think that they are considered endangered in lower 48.

Indeed they are. I stand corrected. I thought only the Indian wolves were CITES and they are so listed in Appendix I, Appendix II implies the rest of them.
Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, you can import wolves from Canada to the US.

Most wolves are taken by chance which is not often. Wolves are pretty sharp. You have to be on the ball to get one most times. On a big game hunt, when wolves or wolf is spotted, I will howl. It will usually give my hunter about 5 seconds more time to get a shot off.

I find coyotes to be dumb and easy targets compared to wolves. Most times if you spot a wolf, he has spotted you.

The most effective way of hunting wolves is over bait.(Aside from snarring) A dead horse works great. A wolf's weakness is his stomach. Where I live, wolves like to prey on dogs and some livestock. After a few easy lunches, wolves will let thier guard down. I lure them, easily right into my yard. My 222 Rem. takes care of the rest.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Daryl
what's a prime wolf pelt bring there?

Hunt as long as you can
As hard as you can.
You may not get tommorrow.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<boreal>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bmpregler:
While we are here, has anyone hunted wolves? What's it like? Please relate your stories exciting and mundane alike.

Thanks

Of course, it matters where you hunt them and what kind of animals are in the area, but I've called them in with deer calls, coyote howls, the squeeks and yipping of young dogs, fox, and coyote. I even rattled a wolf in one time (wasn't really what I was looking for Smiler ). I think fox-fight sounds would really work good, but I have not tried to duplicate them. The best call that I have tried is a fawn/deer bleat. They come a-runnin'.

As Yukon said, they are really smart, but the unharrased packs that are generally unafraid of us are easy pickings. I've had them come in, see me, and just kinda slowly walk away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf taken in Alaska have to be sealed. That is the Cities number issued to that Wolf. If you take a Wolf from Ak into Canada (even just to transport) it will require Cities permiting. To import a candian Wolf into the US will also require Cities permitting.

It can be a hassel.