New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scored on a Desert Bighorn
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Weidmannsheil to your brother for a great trophy!

What a treat to be able to hunt with your boy! Well done Tyler, you made your Dad very proud!

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I`ve always dreamed of sheep. Anders

Careful Anders. Comments like that can get you in trouble in parts of the West

Howard,
Congrats to your brother. Chic had told me of your success. How cool that Tyler was able to participate. Who cares about the book. Beautiful ram.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Big time congrats!! Talk about the hunt of a lifetime.....and with your son there, no less!!

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle is a Magnum Research, shooting 150 gr partitions. Range finder said 221 yds. Ram ran about 30 yards at the shot and stopped facing the other way. He was dead but Dale put in another shot as insurance. The exit wound from the first shot and the entrance from the second where less then two inches apart.

Can�t remember the unit number but was the Kofa Wilderness Area.

Game people at the check out station scored the ram at 153. Not high enough to make book but a very nice uniform set of horns.

The boy is my eight-year-old son Tyler. The ram was 2 1/2 miles off the road across some pretty rocky terrain. Tyler hiked it with a pack and not a complaint; he loved every minute of it. There is no question that I have a lifetime hunting partner.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my understanding of the way it works in AZ. Dale is a resident and it is a once in a lifetime trophy. He had only applied for a few years but the odds of getting drawn are very high. In his unit the Kofa he was one of five tags issued. I do know there are other units, some with more tags issued. This ram was not spotted before the hunt. My brother lives in Flagstaff which is about six hours from the area so he had limited opportunities to scout. He did have our father who lives near the unit in Yuma as well as two highly experienced sheep hunters who live in Yuma and knew the area.

Anders I am not sure how the odds compare being a resident or non-resident. You can bet that I will be finding out though. I am really stoked to get a Desert Bighorn for myself now.

He shot the ram at 11:20 opening morning which highly pissed me off as I had no opportunity to put my new Leica Duovid 10X15 by 42 binos to the test.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of dzpoorjr
posted Hide Post
Hey nice ram anyway! Was your brother a resident? No mention of his name. They give more tags down there on the KOFA than anywhere else in the state!

Posts: 62 | Location: SAFFORD, AZ. | Registered: 22 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice ram-tell your bro congrats--I'm in the envious crowd also--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son and I returned last night from AZ. We had been down there with my brother who had drawn a desert bighorn tag. He scored this ram on opening morning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your brother, Howard! That'll make a lot of people envious, including myself!!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Details Howard!! What unit was he in? caliber... load... shot.
Congrats for him.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

I`ve always dreamed of sheep. Anders

Careful Anders. Comments like that can get you in trouble in parts of the West :grin

I understand that now.. I was just a little quick posting it.. Better use some more time on the preview..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote