New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!!!!!! I'm off to college
 Login/Join

<8mman>
posted
well its finally here, the decision I hoped i wouldn't have to make. ya see next year I'm gona be heading of to college. I plan on going to a public school here in NY. that is completely geared to the enviroment, but its still public.
So heres the question how do I go about bringing my guns? Chances are I won't be able to keep them in the dorm. The area is shotgun only and I plan on getting a Moss. pump with a 24" barrel for turkeys and a slug barrel for deer that way I will only have to store one or two guns. I figured that many have probably had similar dilemas and found solutions. any suggestions????????

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a couple and cased them up good and hid them behind the seat of my truck. I know I put them in danger of theft, but I tried not to talk about it except to those I knew close and hunted with. It was also illegal to have them on campus and I lived in the dorms. So, I wanted to keep quiet for that reason too. I did wonder since it was in a high hunting region if they "overlooked" that rule, if it didn't cause problems.

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Doubt this school would be as gun-friendly as Texas Tech was, but ...

We used to take out guns; rifles, shotguns and handguns to the Texas Tech Police station. They would hold them for us. They issued a type of "coat check" tag. Just a tag with a number on it.

When you wanted your gun, you just went down to the police station, presented your tag, and picked it up.

I always got a kick out of throwing my Colt King Cobra .357 up on the counter and seeing the police mans face.

Call the school and ask for the police station. Shoot, you never know, they just might do the same thing!

Good luck.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here at the University of Vermont you can take your guns to police services and then get them whenever you want to go shooting. You should check with the school and see what their policy is. At UVM this is all written up in their student manual.

Hope this helps,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll definitely want to do some research on this. While I could not keep firearms on campus when I went to college in NY, I could keep them in certain off-campus housing. So I quickly moved off-campus.

Your plan to get a shotgun/slug gun combo is a good one, but may I suggest the Remington 870?

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck and study hard.

I kept mine in the trunk of my car. That was probably against the rules but back then, over 30 years ago, nobody cared. [Cool]

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Albert:

I kept mine in the trunk of my car. That was probably against the rules but back then, over 30 years ago, nobody cared. [Cool]

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Albert:

At Colorado State U (32 years ago) we kept them in the dorm room, or checked them in at the front desk of the dorm for secure storage. Times have probably changed that.

Posts: 121 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<8mman>
posted
thanks for all the suggestions.

Grizzly and Hunt_Fish,

I thought of hiding them in my trunk but was severly warned against it and told that if they were found not only would they be taken but I would be thrown out of the school. Thats a little too much of a risk for me.

Wendell, and Bob,

this is a really good idea that I never even thought of. one thing though I often leave very early to go out and don't get home till later. will the police check ins be open when I need my guns?

Aquavit,

I have used a 870 for 5 years now ( my friend/mentor's) and I agree that they are great guns, but beccause of a very short budget I am opping for the Mossberg, or maybe a Winchester. for the money I feel they are good guns.

once again thanks alot to everyone