New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deer in Arkansas?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, anybody here from or hunt in Arkansas? I deal with a company out htere and one of the guys has invited me out to hunt this fall and is supposed to be arranging it for me. I was wondering what I could expect, just some general information. The company is in Little Rock so it will likely be close to there.

What is the foliage/terrain like and what size are the deer typically?

Thanks fellas

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago,

Never hunted deer there, but they do have good quality bucks. I have hunted ducks there a lot. Stuttgart, AR is the rice and duck capital of the world. Greenheads in flooded oak timber next to rice fields. Umm Umm Good!

I have seen several mounts of deer taken in the duck lodges and they do look nice! I would certainly take your buddies up on the offer. Ask if you can bring your shotgun too!

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arkapigdiesel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dago Red:
Hey guys, anybody here from or hunt in Arkansas? I deal with a company out htere and one of the guys has invited me out to hunt this fall and is supposed to be arranging it for me. I was wondering what I could expect, just some general information. The company is in Little Rock so it will likely be close to there.

What is the foliage/terrain like and what size are the deer typically?

Thanks fellas

Red

Red,

Deer size can differ as it depends what part of the state you will be hunting. Usually the northern part of the state has fewer deer but the antler size is generally larger. The Southeast corner of the state has deer that are like rats but very few "shooters". I hunt near the Southwest portion of the state and the size is comparable to that of the northern part of the state with deer population similar to SE Arkansas.

As far as terrain.....depends where you are hunting. Arkansas varies from delta land to mountainous terrain. Pine trees in the south part of the state and hardwoods up north. If you can find out where you will be hunting I'll be able to tell what to expect. Best of luck!

Posts: 91 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 07 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless your visit is after Thanksgiving, no need to take a shotgun. Duck season there doesn't open until about that time. My brother in Little Rock, and three of his buds, own a duck club not too far from Stuttgart, and the opening of duck season is always a grand time for them.

Good luck on your hunt.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the south half of Arkansas has a very good deer population and many areas of the north central part of the state. You should have no difficulty taking a deer but trophy class deer will be much more spotty. Many private hunting clubs have management programs in place with some really nice bucks. Good luck.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I guess I had better figure out how to handle the meat, see if there is a freeze and ship outfit there or if I should give it to somebody locally. I'd like to bring it back, or ship it, so that I can eat it myself. Anybody ever done that?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are deer processing places in most areas of the state. You could always have it ground and prepared into some good, spicy summer susage. Your shipping package would then be suprisingly small. Good hunting.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote