New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado points
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have accumulated 21 elk points in the state of Colorado. ( non- resident) which should be enough to get a bull tag in almost any area of the state except 2,10, and 201. I would really like to shoot a big bull!
After waiting all these years I don't want to waste the points. I am thinking an outfitter with access to some prime range.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Leo

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Save your points and go to New Mexico

If it's a big bull you want and your willing to use an outfitter I know 3 or 4 that can take care of you.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How big a bull are you wanting to shoot?

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:

I'm going to guess the answer before he responds. My guess is "as big as possible" but what do I know Big Grin

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi top gun.

I am looking for something bigger than a 355, since my wife's biggest elk is a 354. Smiler

Thanks...

Posts: 68 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:

I'm going to guess the answer before he responds. My guess is "as big as possible" but what do I know Big Grin

I see you muffed on his answer, LOL! The OP should be able to take a 350+ bull in many areas of some of the western states. I helped my Wyoming buddy take a 357 3/8" bull from a unit out there in 2010 that isn't even on the radar for big bulls. Now it gets a lot different if the answer had been a 380+, as then you're getting into fewer areas that hold animals of that nature on somewhat of a regular basis and my first two picks would be AZ and UT, both of which would take years to draw if the OP has no PPs at the present time. His best bet may be to use those PPs in the best CO unit he can find and go through someone like yourself to get set up with a good outfitter/guide to give him the best chance at the size bull he wants. Other than that I guess if he wants to stay in Colorado for the hunt he could look into some of the priceier Ranching for Wildlife places. Maybe he should just ask the wife where she would go since she is obviously the accomplished bull hunter in the family, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unit 61 or 76. Probably hold the best opportunity for big mature bulls

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Northman56751
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Garvey Brothers Outfitters (unit 61) in 2010. One of the best outfitters i've ever hunted with.
4 of us went, and all filled out...i got lucky and shot a beautiful 350 bull. Depending on the year, i think thier average bulls go from 310 - 335 (rifle?). Muzzleloader hunts may have a higher average. Their rifle hunts take between 15/16 points depending which season you want and the muzzleloader hunts take around 19.

From their website:
With another hunting season drawing to a close, 2011 proved to be a great success. We had 100% shooting on our elk hunts, killing 12 out of 13 bulls. The average score of the bulls was 311, ranging between 270 and 350.

They also take some dandy mulies.....those take anywhere from 8-18 points depending on the season.
From their site:
The average score of our Mule Deer continues to rise with each passing year, this year was no exception. After taking 17 Mule Deer their average score was 179. The high score being 210 and the low being 160.

One thing that i really liked about Stan and Dustin (father/son) was they were 100% honest with me on everything......no bullshit.
Here's their link if you're interested....call them and they'll let you know your odds on the bull you want !!

http://www.garveybrothersoutfitters.com/

Brett

Brett Mattson
www.hosted-hunts.com
E-mail: brett@hosted-hunts.com
Cell: 218-452-0774
Life Member NRA

Posts: 258 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since you already have 21 points, keep applying and get one of the three units you mentioned. They are far and away your best opportunity for a 350+ bull on public land in Colorado. Even in those units 350 bulls are not an every day/every bull proposition, you have to find them.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagebrush Burns:
Since you already have 21 points, keep applying and get one of the three units you mentioned. They are far and away your best opportunity for a 350+ bull on public land in Colorado. Even in those units 350 bulls are not an every day/every bull proposition, you have to find them.

I have to agree to a point. Since you've put in that many years building points, don't burn them now on anything less than the best unit. When you draw it, give it your all in terms of scouting and hunting time, or hire a damned good guide if you don't have the time, ability and experience to do that kind of hunt yourself.

AND, legitimate 350 class bulls are not an everyday/every bull proposition ANYWHERE unless you're hunting on a few specific Indian reservations or very difficult or expensive units to draw. I always get a kick out of guys throwing out the term "350 bull" like those elk are fairly common. In truth, a 350 bull is a damned big bull nearly anywhere and everywhere; and most hunters will never have a chance to shoot that caliber of bull in their entire hunting career. I've had the good fortune to hunt some of the very best public land elk units in the best states, like 9 in Arizona, 13 & 15 in New Mexico, Monroe in Utah and 231 in Nevada. Based on doing a lot of elk hunting in those great units, I feel comfortable saying that 350 bulls don't grow on trees in even the best units. For most guys a 330 class bull will be a bull of a lifetime. Think about it for a moment, the number of guys who kill a 320 or bigger class bull at any time in their entire lives is probably less than the guys who never kill a 300 class bull at any point in their hunting life.

I just finished a fantastic solo elk hunt in 231 Nevada a couple weeks ago. That is one of the very few areas where a fellow can work hard, put in his time and have a realistic expectation of shooting a really big bull. If I had my heart set on killing a mega bull, that is one of the very few places I'd be looking, as you can buy a landowner tag and rifle hunt for a month (it took me 14 years of applying to finally draw the tag, and even then my odds of drawing were only 6%). It is also a place where a 350 class bull is in fact very doable if you put in your time and hunt hard, and bulls up to and over 400" roam the unit. If I just had to have a huge bull, I'd hunt there before I'd consider nearly any RFW opportunity in Colorado. Some of the New Mexico landowner tags are also great opportunities to kill a super big bull, as are the Hualapai, White Mtn, San Carlos, Havasupai, Acoma and Mescalero Reservations. Finally, some of the CWMU tags in Utah can offer a legitimate opportunity at a huge bull. If you have enough $$$ you can hunt these places as often as you like, and you will have chances at legitimate monster bulls.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leo - Bulls like you are looking for can be found in many places around the state of CO, especially with a boat load of points. I've guided quite a few of them over the yrs.

I've also killed numerous bulls over 350" here in CO, and two over 380" - both on public land, in units that take less than 3 points to draw a rifle tag. Don't be fooled into thinking an area that takes more points to draw is better than others - not necessarily true.

Do some good research or contact a good outfitter, IMO. Good luck!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Aaron, I wouldn't call you the average elk hunter, very far from it. I'm not surprised that you find those kind of bulls, but for the typical non-resident who has built points, I doubt it is nearly as easy to find a great hunt as it is for you.

Of course, they could book through you and take care of some of that disadvantage.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DLS:
Aaron, I wouldn't call you the average elk hunter, very far from it. I'm not surprised that you find those kind of bulls, but for the typical non-resident who has built points, I doubt it is nearly as easy to find a great hunt as it is for you.

Of course, they could book through you and take care of some of that disadvantage.

Agreed, but I too strike out as well. The last 2 yrs in a row I have not killed a bull here in CO. Not because I didn't see any bulls, but never saw a 350" plus bull during the hunt. We have private land for clients - but I personally hunt the public land too. My advantage is living here for the past 40 yrs of course, as well as guiding/hunting all over the state. But if a guy does look/pay attention one can find some of the other units in the state that also produce big bulls - without taking a lifetime worth of points to draw like 2, 10, 201, 61, etc. They don't make elk in this state big enough to wait 15 - 20+ yrs for one hunting opportunity, IMO.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Pfadt:
I have accumulated 21 elk points in the state of Colorado.
Leo

Quick question. Are points in CO specie specific? Or is a point a point, no matter what you applied for?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Originally posted by Leo Pfadt:
I have accumulated 21 elk points in the state of Colorado.
Leo

Quick question. Are points in CO specie specific? Or is a point a point, no matter what you applied for?

Species specific

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should have cashed in a few years back when Colorado allowed you to bank your points. They only did that for one year, and caused a few guys to loose their hard earned points the next. I sure wish they'd go back to only taking the points needed to draw a tag, with 21 banked points I could hunt some good areas for several years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would highly recommend Unit 2. I drew a couple of years ago with 21 points and had a great hunt. I killed a near-350 bull, the biggest I saw in four days. My understanding is the severe drought decreased the overall antler sizes.

I saw a dozen or more bulls the first day, all branch-antlered and heard hundreds and hundreds of bugles. In fact, we saw many more bulls than cows. It was an incredible hunt.

Even better, the majority of the unit is public and there are lots of bulls on public land. You don't need an outfitter. U

Unit 2 is not typical elk country, at least not by most people's definition. It's mostly sage and juniper with rolling hills and a few high ridges and one semi-forested mountain. It's great spot-and-stalk country.

PM me if you want some more info. I'd be happy to share what I know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unit 2 is not typical elk country, at least not by most people's definition. It's mostly sage and juniper with rolling hills and a few high ridges and one semi-forested mountain.

Perception being what it is and all I grew up in New Mexico and have lived in Colorado for 12 years now. But sage, juniper,pinnon and rolling hills with breaks and low lying mountains is PERFECT big elk country! I know many folks think high country when they think elk and mule deer and that is a HUGE mistake.

Many in fact MOST of the big mule deer bucks being killed in Colorado are taken in the eastern plains in the sage brush and junipers. There are some fantastic elk hunting opportunities just east of Denver and the springs and Pueblo out in the "flat" (breaks really) country.

I am not saying the high country doesn't produce because it does but don't over look the flatter eastern areas either.

If I was serious about killing a big bull I'd give Pat Lancaster a call. He's a good outfitter who produces good quality.

http://lancastersoutfitters.com/