Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm Deer Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I'm undecided on what bullet I'd like to use for deer this fall. This is mule deer I'm going after, and the older bucks can get to 300 lbs.+. This is for my 260 Rem. Shots will be inside 300 yards, probably closer to 150 yards and in on average. Should I go with the higher muzzle velocity of the 125 gr., or the high sectional density/penetration of the 140 gr.? Energy numbers for both are close, with the 140 gr. holding a slight edge past 200 yards. I'm looking mainly at Nosler 125 gr. Partition, and the 140 gr. Partition.

Here is their 300 yard velocity - 125 gr. 2328 fps/140 gr. 2240 fps

Will that 90 fps mean anything, in terms of bullet performance? Even at 100 yards, the difference is only 130 fps. I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I'd like to have the best bullet come September.

Any comments or suggestions would be a big help.

P.S., I do handload.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartell use the 140 gr. Nolser partition, That way if you have a raking shot you will be somewhat better off. I used a 140 Nosler in a 264 Win mag. many years ago and it worked good for me.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used 120 to 125 grain bullets, including the 125 Nosler Partition, on mule deer for years from both a 6.5x55 and a .260AAR and have no complaints with this bullet weight for deer. OTOH, I've normally refrained from raking shots where I would need unusual penetration. Almost all of my shots have been broadside or slightly angled through the shoulder or ribs. I would recommend using which ever bullet weight seems to shoot best in your particular rifle; both will to the job at the receiving end.

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 140 Nosler Partition is a rather long bullet which is not very compatable with your short .260 magazine. You may find it difficult to achieve the desired velocity with this bullet and may find your longer range capabilities more limited due to trajectory and slower than desired expansion.

I think you would find the 125 Partition more satisfactory in fitting within your limited overall cartridge length and giving you better velocity and trajectory. It will penetrate to the vitals of a mule deer fully as well as the 140 anyway.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've personally taken several deer from 70# to 250#, field dressed, with the 125 partition and never had a problem. None of them went more than 20 yards. If it was Elk I would say 140, but not for deer.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd let you guys know I went with the 140 gr. Partition. It's extra penetration may come in handy when a tough angle is the only shot available.

Thanks again.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<wolf6151>
posted
Hey stonecreek gave you really good advice the extra bullet length of the 140 gr. bullet will effect the seating depth and thus the powder charge and velocity. If you go with a Nosler Partition the 125 gr. would be an excellent choice and will do the job on any deer at eny angle. If you want another suggestion just to complicate things further my personal preference would be the 120 gr. Barnes X. Nothing penetrates better and there performance is outstanding.