Find
Notify
Tools

Elk rut season ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
During which months take place the elk rut season ?

Once I went to a restaurant in Denver Colorado (The Buck Horn) and for first time in my life I saw some HUGE elk trophies there, since then I have never saw again an elk in my life but I can't still take away that sight from my head.

What a wonderful animal and what a wonderful trophy to have over a fireplace.

For me, a BIG trophy elk must be the ultimate north american game animal...

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general, mid-September - mid-October. As you are used to from the reds of South America, the time for the rut can vary according to weather etc.

There are not a huge amount of places where you can hunt elk in the rut in the Lower 48 (US states). MT has a few areas where the hunting season coincides with the rut, other states may too (UT, AZ, NM?). But in general, the hunting season does not coincide perfectly with the rut. On top of that comes the problem of obtaining a tag (lottery). Some states - and, in particular, better areas - are almost impossible to draw. Western Canada, in general, offers easier access to a rut hunt for bull elk for a non-resident, albeit only guided.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I did a little googling and ended with the feeling that I was "buying" an animal rather than trying to hunt one... Frowner

Trophy elk hunts 350 plus points GUARANTEED ??? Eeker

It makes you feel like there are no more wild elks roaming around anymore ?? bewildered

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

there are a lot of game farms that have elk. Some better than others if you like hunting the things.

There are also some very good to great elk guides who hate fences/ranches/farms where these farm elk are contained.

To know what you are going to get for your hunt, the very first question you should ask is "Are the elk I will be hunting inside a fenced enclosure?"

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nkonka:
Lorenzo,

there are a lot of game farms that have elk. Some better than others if you like hunting the things.

There are also some very good to great elk guides who hate fences/ranches/farms where these farm elk are contained.

To know what you are going to get for your hunt, the very first question you should ask is "Are the elk I will be hunting inside a fenced enclosure?"

+1, especially that last bit--(in red)

As you, I and many others revere the mature Bull Elk as a trophy, and share your awe, and respect for it, unfortunately, a lot of folks are content to hunt them in a high fence, where they are basically raised as livestock, and pay relatively high prices for them.

Not knowing what caliber of animal you might get a crack at is one of the big rewards of hunting, when you do in fact get a crack at a big one--IMO.

Colorado is a state with a good elk population, and you can buy a tag over the counter, and have a number of guided hunts available.

Good luck to you!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Utah has lots of rut hunts available on both public and private lands.
Public lands hunts are obtainable through:
-a public drawing which takes years and points. (Long odds, years wait, under $800)
-buying landowner licenses good throughout a particular hunting unit ($7,500-$30,000)
-buying a conservation permit at auction allowing one to hunt a unit ($5,000-$30,000)

Private land hunts can be had in 2 ways:
-CWMU program. Ranches enrolled into this program have tags and set their own seasons. It is all 100% low fence fair chase. ($5,000-12,000)
-Any Bull hunts. These hunts occur the first week of October (tail end of our rut). Ranches within an Any Bull area and not enrolled in a CWMU can sell hunts. ($2,500-7,500)

All the hunts I listed would be fair chase, free ranging animals.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

That Buck Horn resturant is something isn't it? I guess it's been there for about 100yrs. I think many of the mounts have been there that long. It's definately worth seeing.

As to the elk rut, like has been stated, it is usually around the middle of September. Montana has some rifle units in the Bob Marshall and Absaroka Wilderness Areas that are open then, but they are pretty much a horse pack hunt. And the wolves have put a serious dent in the Absaroka elk herds.

Most of Montana is open to archery elk hunting in September.

And I agree with you that a mature 6 pt or bigger bull elk is a very magnificent animal and makes a beautiful mount. They taste great also.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
The thing is that some day I should go to that Denver Cattle Show but that occurs in January so I was thinking that maybe..... Wink

There is something to hunt in Colorado during january ?

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like everyone said usually in late Sept or early
Oct. The Big 4 unit hunts run from Oct 1 - 10,
When those hunts are going on there are no other
big game hunts in the entire state going on.
I have seen the weather so warm up into middle
Oct that they don't really go into rut untill
after this season is over.
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hu.../SeasonDatesAndFees/

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The problem is that the damn asshole bowhunters get most of the elk hunting seasons during the rut. Very few states have more than a couple elk management areas that you can hunt elk with a rifle during the rut.

There are a few draw areas in some states that offer rifle elk hunts during the rut. Utah was already named, most designated wilderness areas in Wyoming have rut hunts with a rifle, but a guide is required.

You could get a mountain lion during January in most western states.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too bad only assholes can buy bows.

On the bowhunting forums there is a lot of discussion about the asshole gun hunters.

no wonder hunter's numbers are declining. Who wants to hang out with assholes?

Lorenzo, you posted on the "canned lion" thread so you understand that everything can be "canned". Go back to Colorado and by an over the counter tag for elk. You will gain an appreciation for the wild elk, and at the same time understand why "canned" hunts are available and thriving.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
The Western Stock Show is in Denver in January and yes most of the Elk hunts are done by then but there is some late cow hunts still finishing up in January. A very few Bull hunts occur for rifle hunters (Early October)during the rut however you may hear small Bulls bugle through all the hunting seasons. In reality "canned" or "high fence" hunts in Colorado are a distinct minority. Lots of public land to hunt and lots of private ranches to hunt and more than 99% of those private ranches are just fenced for cattle, elk freely range all over unincumbered by a waist high fence. There are some big ranches that manage the harvest of the elk that live there that can guaruntee you a look at a 350 bull, don't take this as an indication that they are not free ranging.
Come hunt elk there are bulls to be had on public land all over the state.
Here is one I took in early October 2004 on public land.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you very much for taking the time to explain me all this about elk hunting.

Snellstrom, your elk is a beauty !!!!

I, as everyone else, enjoy the idea of hunting in a true wilderness area, but with age (42) I am starting to open my mind.

For example, and I don't want to start a canned hunt debate, put yourselves in my place, I am not able to travel everytime I want to the States, family, work and money always plays a big part in our hunting trips.

Passing up a red stag in Argentina is one thing (I can go every year, several times a year because of the short distance), but going to the States to spend days and days and never see a single shootable bull is another thing.

I know, many of you will say, "that's hunting", and I agree, but I think that my only chance of being able to hunt a bull will be in a big private property.

I want an elk very bad and to make things worst, being the wannabe I am, I just don't want any bull, I want THE bull Big Grin , one that looks similar to one of those fantastic trophies I saw a couple of years back at the Buck Horn restaurant in Denver or one as the one taken by Snellstrom...

Who know maybe some day.. Frowner

Again thanks for your answers and have a good day.

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archery hunts for Elk in the Rut are readily available.Muzzle loading is available also in some States .Of course getting a Tag does not mean you will get an animal.Colorado is a State where you can get a Tag every year.Some areas are preference points ,but you stand a better chance of a Trophy .I think any Elk with a Bow is a Trophy!!!!!Good luck

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
I think any Elk with a Bow is a Trophy!!!!!Good luck

Despite not being a bow hunter (I don't even know how to use a bow), I believe that any big game animal taken with a bow is a trophy...!!!!!

L

One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
The problem is that the damn asshole bowhunters get most of the elk hunting seasons during the rut. Very few states have more than a couple elk management areas that you can hunt elk with a rifle during the rut.

There are a few draw areas in some states that offer rifle elk hunts during the rut. Utah was already named, most designated wilderness areas in Wyoming have rut hunts with a rifle, but a guide is required.

You could get a mountain lion during January in most western states.

I guess since I own bow, rifle, muzzleloader, knife I am a quad asshole???

Posts: 764 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

The best state to get an elk permit that lets you hunt during the rut is Idaho. This is especially true if you book with an outfitter there because the Idaho G&F Dept. normally sets aside a certain number of tags for outfitter clients. So unless something has changed, getting one is usually a snap once you book your hunt.

Unless the seasons have changed, the early rifle hunt in some units opens in mid-Sept. to early Oct.

As for hunting in a wilderness area, I suggest you look at Idaho's Selway unit where it borders Montana. I believe it's Unit 17. Several outfitters, including a couple based in Montana, conduct 7 to 10 day hunts with access to their camps by horseback.

These hunts are true wilderness experiences with no fences involved. But be prepared for a physically demanding hunt in steep, rugged terrain.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Thank you very much for your very valuable information. I will study that possibility carefully thumb

L

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

You're welcome.

Also, I forgot to mention you can also hunt deer during that season in the Selway. In some areas, there are both mule deer and whitetails; a tag there is good for either one. Obtaining the tag is the same as for elk; there's a set aside number for outfitters.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
There are a lot of private ranches located in mountains, foothills and valleys of Colorado, Wyoning, and Montana (as well as others) that have incredible numbers of elk and quality bulls to be hunted. Why? Two reasons, excellent habitat where the living is easy, and limited access of hunters. Stated another way, they can be very expensive compared to public land hunts in the wilderness areas, but hunting clients are normally very successful. Arizona and New Mexico have tremendous bulls, but drawing a tag can be difficult to say the least although I believe it's a little easier in New Mexico. Vermejo Park and the Valles Caldera in Northern New Mexico just doesn't get any better for elk hunting. You can look it up on the internet yourself in regards to pricing. Yikes!
Manitoba and Saskatchewan also have high fenced hunting for elk, nice bulls, and generally less expensive than the prime areas of the western U.S.
Tony is right about Idaho and the Selway Wilderness. That is quality country for any big game. Also, the Thoroughfare in Wyoming on the eastern border of Yellowstone National Park is grand country. The wolves haven't eaten all of them yet.
I would stay out of the Absaroka Wilderness in Montana. Too many hunters and too many wolves and too many damned grizzlies and not enough elk. The Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana is huge country and can be good hunting, but it takes some careful study of the right outfitter. Don't plan on walking in there and back out.
Good luck.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone,

thumb thumb thumb

Thank you very much !!

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
You're very welcome.

There are quite a few individuals here on AR that book all sorts of hunts, not just Africa. You probably know them or who they are as well as the rest of this cadre of participants. I'm sure it you tell them just what you want, they'll find a hunt to suit you.

If I can be of any further help just let me know.

Vaya,
yellowstone

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once you've heard an elk bugle you'll be hooked. If it means bowhunting to hunt in the rut then go and buy yourself a bow archer

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
There is also a big country north of the US where you can hunt elk. wave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo- Elk hunting is my favorite hunt. The only thing I would advise you of is to contact the game department from whichever state you choose and check on the wolf population and activity in the area you have choosen. This could really effect your hunt and chances.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Favorite area: Idaho ,Lolo, Selway, Bitterroot, areas
Wyoming: Pinedale, Wind River area
Colorado: Rifle Craig,Durango, area
New Mexico: Chama area

Guess they are my favorites untill I find a new one fishing

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are way more elk in the States than in Canada. If I wanted a nice elk I'd be heading there.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
There are way more elk in the States than in Canada. If I wanted a nice elk I'd be heading there.

No....no....everyone should go to Canada for elk. There are no elk left in the US!

Smiler

0351 USMC

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote