THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best combination of dexterity and warmth...what say ye about gloves and mittens

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best combination of dexterity and warmth...what say ye about gloves and mittens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
For the last several years, I have used glove liners and glomittens.

I am wondering if there is a better approach. When wearing gloves warm enough for winter hunting, I always find myself taking them off so I can manipulate something.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Mike, I don't know what glow mittens are but assume they are utilizing those tear-open chemical heat packs?

I pretty much rely on those heat packs and keep them in my pockets. Most gloves/mittens seem to constrict blood flow and thus my hands end up staying cold. I hate a heavy glove on my hands too as I feel they interfere with trigger feel and operation. I do better with a very light, loose polar fleece type glove and those pocket heaters.

I 'stand' hunt as I only have roughly 40 acres and thus cannot stalk and glass to keep warm. I have some over-the-boot covers that I also toss a pair of those pocket heaters into when I am in a blind.

Keeps me hunting instead of freezing to death.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Thanks. I started using those hand warmer things this year.

Glomittens or glomitts are the fingerless gloves that have a flop over mitten cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Illinoi...-spons&keywords=glom

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My only problem, warm or cold weather is tactile feel. I am sure that sounds stupid. I have used the Glo-mitts in the past with good results and have been using some Thinsulate gloves the past couple of years and they are okay.

Luckily down here the majority of our deer hunting/pig hunting is done from enclosed blinds so a Mr. Buddy Heater helps a bunch.

No disrespect to Ann, but I have learned the older I get the bigger a wuss I become!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glomittens or glomitts are the fingerless gloves that have a flop over mitten cover.

I use these a lot the best ones use magnets to hold the flaps back.

I just brought a new pair of fleece ones from wally world they are the warmest set I have own in many decades.

Haven't even had to put heaters in them they are call hot hands and have thinsulate and fleece.

Double flaps built in gloves theses are the warmest ones I have worn.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
P Dog,

You got a brand name on them?

Mike

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I gave up on mittens because I like to use my hands - even with gloves on.

When in very cold climate, I wear 2 silk gloves, then the normal glove.

I have to take my hands out to take photos.

I have discovered something I never knew or experienced before.

We were hunting in BC, Canada, and the temperature was minus 33 degrees!!!

I had all the warm clothes I normally wear, and was comfortable in them.

WE had to sit in the forest, in deep snow, to call predators.

Now you have to imagine this.

I am sitting with my right knee up, and my rifle held in my right arm.

A few minutes later, my right leg felt frozen!

I changed position, lowering it and getting my left knee up.

It warmed up, and a few minutes later my left leg felt cold???

I am not sure what caused this, may be the blood circulation.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67474 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm, the only time I've ever used those thermal
heat packs was to help a rancher make a too tight pvc pipe fitting soft enough to push it in place. Just happened to have some in the truck that day I stopped to bs with him.

Warmest gloves I've found are the Snowmobilers gloves at W/M, around $8 a pair last I bought some. Soft enough I've shot with them on.

Saeed: That's a bit chilly. Have you ever seen diesel #2 turn to jelly from cold? Some cold winter go visit Little America Wyo. 3/4 qt oil can jelled in 20 min til it wouldn't pour. Truckers tires froze to the ground so hard when they pulled out, it pulled the tread off their tires. Blowing snow into warm brakes melts and freezes things up almost til spring. I laid under my rig much of one day melting that snow and ice with a propane torch. Long time ago, but, seems it was -39F and 55mph, I do recall the windchill I was told: -110F.

Impressive to lay under the rig for hours like that and not get cold. Micky Mouse boots, insulated coverall's Carhartt coat and head & face covering.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What an excellent question! Seems like it is always such a compromise, but when you need dexterity, you need it! Ive tried lots of combinations. The last few years I have been using a pair of Remington branded gloves. Forgive my lack of detail, but they are camo and some sort of nylon like insulated material. Pretty basic. As gloves go, they have given as good of a compromise between dexterity and warmth as anything Ive ever used. I have ridden an ATV in the High Uintas in very cold weather and stayed plenty warm and cycling a bolt and pulling the trigger is no problem. Feeding cartridges with gloves on is still a real challenge though. Ive tried the flap back mitten thing, they work, but can be monotonous.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am sitting with my right knee up, and my rifle held in my right arm.A few minutes later, my right leg felt frozen!I changed position, lowering it and getting my left knee up.It warmed up, and a few minutes later my left leg felt cold???I am not sure what caused this, may be the blood circulation.

The minus 33 might have had something to do with it.

I have hunted, trapped and snowmobiled at those temps and lower, not moving one well get cold fast.

You were most likely cutting of some of the blood flow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
P Dog,

You got a brand name on them?

Hothands if I get into to town I well recheck might be a couple of days.

If you PM a cell number I'll text you a picture

One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
I use glove liners & glom mitts as well when the weather gets really

cold. I love the ability to have a trigger finger available, but

still keep my finger warm. Seems to be a nice combination?

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I like a very thin wool glove a roo tube and chemical warmers inside the roo tube.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Wear whatever you like. Put a second pair in the front of your pants. Switch em out as needed. My pap kept me afield all day with this system.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law worked pit crews for several years and now is pit crew coach for one of the Nascar race crews. Those pit crews use gloves during the pit stops. One is a heavy leather glove for the colder days the other is lighter with very strong material and light leather that is excellent for shooting and hunting. The fingers of the lighter glove have tactile buds on the bottom. They are fantastic for use in the fields for hunters and shooters. I think they are Master Mechanics. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
In AZ, where I've done most of my hunting over 55+ years, most places don't get waaayy cold. In those places that do, when needed I wear the standard Cabela's issued insulated (and bulky)thinsulate gloves.

BUT...in most cases -- and especially in areas with lots of sticky cactus and trees -- I wear leather roping gloves. They are tactile enough for shooting without taking them off, and if it gets a bit too cold for them, I have a pair of thinsulate glove liners that are great, even worn alone.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike, I have not used these because I haven't needed them, but Kuiu's other gloves and hunting clothes are great. Link below.

https://www.kuiu.com/camo-hunt...ries-gloves#start=11

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brand name of the glove in the post above is simply Mechanix. The pit crews have been using them for years. I have never used anything better for shooting or driving ATV's or side by sides. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I,m horseback a lot, rope a lot in non heated barnes in the Twin Falls area, we don't have heated Barns, the buzzards breed our chickens and nobody gives a damn...

Most of us wear roping cotton gloves that are not all that warm, but when it gets really cold down around zero or below be pull on a pair of Heattrac gloves, they are soft and flexable enough to rope or shoot in, wear both and the work as good as anything..Its real smart to have some heat packs in your coat pocket, why wouldn't you, you can ride a horse and pack a rifle with your hands in your pocket with a heat pack and they last for about 4 hours. I also have soft buckskin o goat gloves with the fingers cut off at the first knuckle that I pull over light cotton work gloves, easy to ride or shoot with, down to the double digit teens..I really like them..But in reality cold hands and feet are a part of Idaho and all you can do is put more clothes on..I look like a snowman working cattle or hunting in two feet of snow, 20 degrees or below zero and a 20 mile an hour wind or better..My friends and I have had some funny experiences in blizzards and horseback..Today at my age the best way to keep hands worm is watching TV and drinking coffee.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41985 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
In really cold dry weather (10 or more degrees below zero) still hunting in the timber i like down mittens Carrying your rifle it's very easy to pull your right mitten off putting it under your left arm in a smooth motion leaving your warm bare hand to handle the trigger. Takes some practice then it's second nature.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote