THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Eastern Whitetail Rifle Actions (Heavy Cover)
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eastern Whitetail Rifle Actions (Heavy Cover)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a Ruger No.1 for about 15 years steady in the light sporter model in 30-06. I killed lots of game with it. Only once did it not serve me with the needed 2nd shot.

Why it was 20 below and I had the 2nd shot in my pocket because it was just to dam cold to keep it in my fingers of the left hand. If it would have been there would have gotten the 2nd shot off. The first one blew up on a limb I had a good chance for a 2nd shot.

I do not feel handicap by a bolt gun if that isn't fast enough for you one needs more paractice.

I use my savage 99 now not because it works well for fast 2nd and 3rd shots. Because I hit with it on the frist shot very well. Have I used the 2nd or 3rd shots yes but I dont belive I would have been worse off with a bolt.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the bolt gun's and it's the only type I have. They are all very accurate and use handloads. The best brush gun is an accurate gun that you feel confident in. Being able to slip bullets thru tiny windows in the brush and having the confidence to do it has worked for many years here in the N.C. pine thickets. Some folks thick big when they talk about brush gun's but I pick a hole and slip a round thru the hole. With a gun I've never missed on a deer and I don't take bad shots either. I may miss the next time I shoot but that's just hunting.

Posts: 214 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your choice of a bolt and that is my choice. The thought of a brush gun has always concerned me. A good hunter would never use a brush gun. If the cross hair is on game hair then squeeze the trigger. There is no such thing as a brush gun and no hunter in his right mind would think of one. Too many hunters get killed by BRUSHGUN SHOOTERS.

quote:
Originally posted by Snider700:
I like the bolt gun's and it's the only type I have. They are all very accurate and use handloads. The best brush gun is an accurate gun that you feel confident in. Being able to slip bullets thru tiny windows in the brush and having the confidence to do it has worked for many years here in the N.C. pine thickets. Some folks thick big when they talk about brush gun's but I pick a hole and slip a round thru the hole. With a gun I've never missed on a deer and I don't take bad shots either. I may miss the next time I shoot but that's just hunting.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote