New
Find
Notify
Tools

grandsons buck....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been blessed with a grandson, Dylan, that loves the outdoors, shooting, and hunting. I've been carrying him deer, turkey, and pig hunting since before he could walk. He was shooting 22s before he was three. He called in his first gobbler at three, killed his first deer that same fall. He's killed two more deer, he is now seven.

I took him to a friends place west of Bankhead National Forest in north Alabama for the youth hunt. It has great genetics and is super managed. He usually hunts with a 223 single shot, but this morning he wanted to carry a youth 243 Rem 700. Glad he did.

We hunted hard, actually trying for a doe because the buck standards are very high here. Saw some nice young bucks, which he correctly aged. Smiler Almost made a good set up on a doe, but saw us at the last second and bailed.

Near 11am, we stopped and I decided to rattle some, as these deer rut in Nov. I saw a deer approaching, saw BIG antlers and told Dylan to get ready. At 25 yards he made a good back edge of shoulder shot. The buck, jumped, staggered and fell inside of twenty yards. I figgered the deer at 145, pushing 150, and five years old. I got the age right....

pic dosen't show body size good, he's right at 230 pounds....

That drag and load darn near killed an old man(me). I'll be glad when Dylan is bigger and can help. He was more excited at putting meat on Mimis table that the size of the antlers. Thats a 162 on the eight main frame with a couple of extra stickers.....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really great buck and really good job by that young man and his Grand Dad. Congratulations to both of you. tu2 tu2

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very nice buck

Posts: 19606 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
WOW tu2

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His hunting future is doomed!. He'll be expecting to shoot a bruiser like that or better every time now.
Big Grin
Nice buck and a very happy hunter. Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
he really isn't into antler size...but he does understand letting young bucks walk to get older/bigger. He nailed the age on a two year old nine point that came by early in the hunt.

He really likes putting meat on the table, pig, deer, he dosen't care which as long as we eat.

I'm taking him hog hunting later this month....says he's going to use his new hog sticking knife...we'll see. Eeker

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that boy is on the right track, in more ways than one - Congratulations to him on his deer and his overall hunting ethics...and to all those who are helping him to achieve the same!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Dylan on a great buck..and an Attaboy to you for taking the lad hunting! We all need to be recruiting new hunters...and it looks like your recruiting job with Dylan has been pretty easy!!

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both, well done.

Very nice buck!!!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!! The smile on his face is awesome!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job Grandpa! Congratulations to your grandson on a monster buck!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Outfreakingstanding! These are the best kind of threads! Congratulations to you and Dylan

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know Drummond, he'll be ready for one of yer big Muleys before long.... BOOM

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the way to ensure the future of our way of life. A gun in hand by 3! Congrats and thank you.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
you know Drummond, he'll be ready for one of yer big Muleys before long.... BOOM

You bring him out anytime! Open ended invitation

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drummond, one of the things I taught him from the start is to appreciate a landowner that lets you hunt/fish on their place. We had to go by the owners place to let them see the deer and for Dylan to offer some of the meat to them.

Last year fishing on a friends place near the house we caught 6-7 nice eating size channel catfish. As we got ready to leave Dylan told me we had to go by Johns)owner of lake) house and see if he wanted some of the fish we caught. All on his own.

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DTala,
You certainly are doing a good job with that grandson of yours !

Please tell him congratulations on a dandy buck. clap

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Awesome buck

I hope he has a couple more big ones like that left in his long future

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both the young and "older" man.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Outstanding!

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 Darned nice!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Boy is lucky his Paw Paw takes him hunting.Congrats to both of you!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
Drummond, one of the things I taught him from the start is to appreciate a landowner that lets you hunt/fish on their place. We had to go by the owners place to let them see the deer and for Dylan to offer some of the meat to them.

Last year fishing on a friends place near the house we caught 6-7 nice eating size channel catfish. As we got ready to leave Dylan told me we had to go by Johns)owner of lake) house and see if he wanted some of the fish we caught. All on his own.

This is the way my dad brought me up as well. Somehow the lessons I learned while hunting seem to impact every area of my life. Tell your grandson that I look forward to meeting him on a mule deer hunt one day and thanks for sharing the stories and pictures

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is AWESOME!!!
Congrats to the both of you!!!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the smile in the young man's face.. Smiler Tells you everything .. tu2

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
WOW!! That's a great buck! Funny, I first looked at the pics before reading details and the first thing that came to mind was Bankhead; not sure why (of course I think Alabama when I see you post), but I spent a couple of seasons collecting samples from Bankhead hunts and something about your grandson's buck reminded me of those bucks.

I remember one very cold morning when I gutted something like 40 deer; it was sooo cold the blood would freeze on my hands when I pulled them from the cavities.

Congrats to you both!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
WOW!!!!Congrats to the young hunter!!! Lifetime buck!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
WOW!! That's a great buck! Funny, I first looked at the pics before reading details and the first thing that came to mind was Bankhead; not sure why (of course I think Alabama when I see you post), but I spent a couple of seasons collecting samples from Bankhead hunts and something about your grandson's buck reminded me of those bucks.

I remember one very cold morning when I gutted something like 40 deer; it was sooo cold the blood would freeze on my hands when I pulled them from the cavities.

Congrats to you both!

the Bankhead area is a unique place for sure. It has some of the biggest, gnarly antlered bucks in Alabama. It was stocked in the late 40's with Michigan deer that pretty much remain pure, rutting in Nov, a month or two ahead of the rest of the state.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Bigger than any whitetail I've ever taken! Makes me kinda jealous! Excellent job to the young man!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graybird, he's been at it a long time Big Grin I hunt that place as a guest and I killed this buck there six years ago when Dylan was 18 months old. He was in the ladder stand with me when I killed this 168" nine point.

Birmingham, Al

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Young man has got a bright future in front of him! You've done well, grandpa!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote