New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Boots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you were going to design a pair of top quality big game hunting boots from scratch what features would you want?

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Different situations that require different boots. I'll assume your hunting the high country or prairies.

Gore-Tex lined, ankle-high, lace up, rounded heal, a more narrow molded-on sole (not sewn on with a "lip"), roll-over/rounded top, padded "entry" area, molded-on/glued-on toe scuff protector, lug sole, fairly stiff/thick leather, Gore-Tex laminate that allows some air circulation around the foot, comes in half-sizes and multiple widths to allow for thin socks for summer (80 degrees) and liner w/wool sock for winter (down to -20 degrees).

Hey, these are exactly the features that my Vasque Sundowners have?!?! I'm on my second pair in about 16 years and love them to death.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everything I found in Meindl's from Cabelas on my elk hunt...zero blisters.

Last time in New Mexico I used Cabelas light weights and these clearly provided more support for a more rugged area in Wyoming. I say that as terrain is important.

The BIGGEST thing, however, is quality socks. I wore cheap cotton socks in NM and got 4 blisters in about 5 hard days of hunting (a lot of walking). THIS time I purchased "Smartwool" socks of two different weights and they were worth their weight in gold...NO blisters. It was so warm I only used the "hiking" weight but they do a great job of wicking away moisture and it even seems to migrate UP out of the boot. I can't emphasize enough how important these are.

As for the Meindl's, I have the other lightweights which are great on flat ground, I have some Danner Canadians that are good in really cold weather but I'm not terribly partial to the "air bob" soles in most conditions. The Meindl's were the only boot in Cabelas certified by the Podiatric Society of America and were quite comfy. They had several models of varying stiffness and held up quite well to my level of use in Wyoming. Between those and the Smartwool socks they were without doubt the best purchase I made for this trip.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of moki
posted Hide Post
I only wear Meidl's now.....
I don't remember the model name but my favorite pair are about 8" high and have a rubber cover on the toe. This pair has 4 years on them now and I've just started to see some wear on the soles. Up until the last couple of months I've been in the bush about 4 days a week so you can imagine the miles that I have on these boots.
I have tried lots of different makes over the years and have found all of them wanting and I usually wear them out in about 2 years but I expect another 4 years for these Meindl's. I also wear good quality liner socks as well the very best hiking socks I can find.
Cam

Posts: 451 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
For hunting boots, I like them a little higher than the ankle height, but anything over 8" isn't needed unless its snowing. If there is snow, I'm into different boots. Multiple widths are essential.
I'm a B/C width and most boods come only in D or E widths. Even with thick socks, D boots twist slightly.
I also like lacing to go further out on the vamp of the boot. This allows for adjustment for different socks and different seasons.
NO Chrome Metal. Seen some of the Browning lacings? Keep it subdued.
Sole/tread options. Both Vibram "waffle stomper" and a shallow tread (no, not upland flat) that won't pick up mud are needed.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Which Meindl's would you recommend for dry hill country hunting with the occasional rock but no rock climbing? (California scrub hill country)

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find the meindl Canadas great for all conditions from the foothills to the mountains.I even wear them in farm country where they are a little heavier than necessary but still work well.My canadas are now 13 years old(hunting use only)and are still watertight.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Which Meindl's would you recommend for dry hill country hunting with the occasional rock but no rock climbing? (California scrub hill country)

I'd look at the $189 Perfekt hikers on the first line of this page ..
web page
NOT the Perfekt Hikers lower down on the page for $159,I ordered a pair and returned them. Theres a reason they'r on sale. The others are pretty much the same boot as the Perfekt Hunter,just lower cut and non-insulated. If you want the insulated version, the Perfekt Hunters are the most comfortable boot I'v ever worn.

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote