THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Alaska's regulation on the harvest of bear mea

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Alaska's regulation on the harvest of bear mea
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have eaten meat from black bears taken in Montana, Idaho and Canada, at least 3 different bears from each area. The meat has always been excellent. My brother ate the meat from a Grizzly bear taken in Alaska, he said it was some of the best meat he has ever eaten. Bear heart is VERY good, just floured and fried in olive oil.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in Idaho, we originally had a rule which said the hide or meat had to be removed from the field. Fought a long, drawn out battle with the anti's in the 90's and F&G changed it to read the hide and meat must be removed, and got much more support to fight the anti-hunting groups. I actually find the taste of black bear to be the same, Spring or Fall, and it is only greasier in the Fall when they are loading up for hibernation.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, animals are what they eat. Back in the days I worked for a trout processing company, a local pig -- err "european boar" farmer would pick up offall to feed to the piggies. He always said he had to put them on dry feed for at least two months before slaughter, or they'd stink you out of the kitchen while cooking.

Can't do that anymore (they stopped us because he was "feeding animal parts to a hog"), but I never forgot about the "fishy pigs".

Also, if you want a good tasting mule deer, all you have to do is shoot one out of the alfalfa. Beats those sage brush monsters, as far as eating is concerned. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring,

I havent hunted Black bears in the last few yrs, but I went to Prince of Wales about 3-4 yrs straight or so. Its been about 4 yrs since I have been. But at that time for spring bears you had to bring out all the meat but the rib meat out before you brought the cape if I remember corretly. Not sure of other areas in Alaska and it might have change by now, but would bet not on that island. I was of the opinon you had to bring out all black bearm meat on spring hunts.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rules changed a few years ago. Now all black bear meat must be salvaged.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote