New
Find
Notify
Tools

wsm wedding night jitters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in a quandry and could use some help and (hopefully) helpful opinions. I've just finished putting my 300wsm together as a project (VZ24 action with a stainless barrel fitted and test fired by a gunsmith). I have settled on 165gn Sciroccos as the projectile of choice pushed by IMR4831. I haven't worked up a load yet to see what charge works best in the rifle, but I do have rounds loaded ranging from 64gn to 70gn in preparation. My question is: Is this going to be a good combination for elk hunting? Keep in mind that velocity is of secondary concern to me behind accuracy. My shooting ranges are probably going to be in the 150-350+ yard range; I don't expect many 50 footers. Should I keep on the path I've selected or just pull the swifts and drop in 180partitions? Real-world performance on the sciroccos is kind of hard to come by but I liked the idea of a polymer tip with a thicker jacket, that's why I chose them. Any HELP would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
l wells, for elk at the ranges you've described you would be well served by 200 grain A-Frames.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you want to use 165grers, why not Partitions or Swift 'A' frames? Nothing wrong w/ 180grNP either. This is my choice in my son's 06 for elk.

[ 06-12-2003, 04:18: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would use a 180-200 gr bullet. I use 180 gr Partitions in my .300 Win Mag on moose and they have served me well.

Posts: 407 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stink I've heard (from many people, including friends, customers, and this board) is that the Sciroccos are bonded TOO well. They have very good expansion, and huge frontal diameter, thus slow down much quicker inside the body cavity, reducing penetration. I believe the 165gr Partition or 165-168gr Barnes XLC would suit elk much better since they will give you more penetration. Free advice, take it or leave it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, the 180gr Partition would be the standard for any .30 magnum. As was mentioned earlier, you may end up with insufficient penetration with the 165s (unless one of the Barnes X bullets). Although some equate elk to just big mule deer, I've seen them hit well and then carry on a good distance.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture I posted on a scirocco discussion.
http://users.sisna.com/darty/bulletcp1.jpg
The picture is grainy but these bullets are from left to right a 160 gr. Failsafe, a 140 grain Failsafe, a 140 grain Partition, and a 150 gr. Scirocco all 7mm. These were fired in milk jugs of water. The Scirocco was fired from a 7mm Mag, the rest from a 7mm STW. The failsafes penetrated 8 and 6 jugs respectively, and the Scirocco 3 (I can't remember how many the partition penetrated). As you can see, the Scirocco almost wrapped itself inside out.
Here is a picture of a 140 grain failsafe I pulled out of a huge 6x6 Elk. It went through the rib area and busted a shoulder on the opposite side, and came to rest just under the skin.
http://users.sisna.com/darty/bullet.jpg
It lost around 1 grain of weight.

Needless to say, I don't like Scirocco's on Elk sized game.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch. I think my suspicions were confirmed. I've still got some 180gn partitions left over from my brother-out-law's rifle that I built up at the same time. I'm probably going to work up loads for both of them and use the Noslers as my primary round. I'll still take a couple of Swifts for the longer shots if any come up. Hell, I might even get really frisky and try the new barnes triple-x. Oops, triple shock. [Embarrassed] Any suggestions for weight(165,168,180)?

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I'm trying the 140g Barnes TSX in my 270WSM and the 165g in my 30-06. Just working up loads on them now.

I've been a long time fan of the Nosler Partitions. But I'd go one bullet weight bigger with them than the Barnes.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote