New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA elk hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I just entered the drawing for the PA elk tags again. Anyone on here ever lucky enough to draw one? They are pretty rare, I've never know anyone that got one.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam-

I haven't looked since the first year they offered them, but is it still something like only 10% go to nonresidents?

Being that you're from Ohio, and knowing that LOTS of guys put in for them, you're looking at some LONG odds. Eeker

Also, like you, I don't know anybody personally that has drawn one, but then again, I also know very few that have actually applied either.

If you DO draw a tag, I understand that the success rate is quite good.

Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a progressive lottery.

Your $10 (non refundable) entry each year gives you an increasing chance of success.

you get one chance (out of however many people enter)
the first year against 45-50 available tags

the second year you get two chances
the third year you get three and so on....

If you fail to enter one year it all goes away... and you start over.

So as an Ohio resident you are shooting for one of 5-10 available non-resident tags.

If I were you I'd enter the Kentucky draw as well as they usually have more non-residents tags (about 50) than Pennsylvania has total available tags.

So comparatively your odds are better in Kentucky.

then again if you enter the Maine Moose lottery you are shooting for one of about 250 non-resident moose tags...

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi all. A friend of mine a NJ resident shot the 1st cow elk killed in Pa in 80 years. He took it with a bow. It's not a hunt it's a cull. He was on the 1st draw & the elk just stood around waiting for a hand out. I doubt it has changed a lot.Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any resembalance to hunting is purely coincidental!

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poordave:
Hi all. A friend of mine a NJ resident shot the 1st cow elk killed in Pa in 80 years. He took it with a bow. It's not a hunt it's a cull. He was on the 1st draw & the elk just stood around waiting for a hand out. I doubt it has changed a lot.Dave

I suppose I should mention that of 45tags issued in 2003 37 of the hunters were sucessful

So yeah, "cull" is probably a better term than "hunt", but to be honest I've never tasted
any difference between a deer shot at sunrise on opening day and a deer shot to keep it from nibbling the bark off of an orchard tree
(crop depradation kill)

and since luck plays a far greater factor in hunting than any other factor should it really matter if the luck takes the form of finding A bull in the wild or winning the draw to shoot one...

Of course it's easier to convince yourself you are "special" by stumbling (luck) into an Elk on public land out west without the help of a guide...

If there actually was a herd cull out west how many of you would honestly turn down the opportunity? BE HONEST!!!

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By Alan

If there actually was a herd cull out west how many of you would honestly turn down the opportunity? BE HONEST!!!

I would. I'm not that hungry or bloodthirsty.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any resembalance to hunting is purely coincidental!

I'll say it again and I live in the heart of the so-called elk range. These animals are big brown rats. Tame, but still big brown rats that have been domesticated by human intervention.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I'll say it again and I live in the heart of the so-called elk range. These animals are big brown rats. Tame, but still big brown rats that have been domesticated by human intervention.[/QUOTE]

The best way of making them wild again is to shoot some!

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote