Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Christmas traditions?
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

What I do myself is "shooting the x-mas tree". Instead of bringing a saw or axe when going to the wood, I bring my shotgun. I select a nice little fir and blast it close to the ground with a good load of US 5. Not very widespread tradition in Sweden

I have tried it and it's indeed a very fine tradition. I think that Gyttorps red cartridges are suitable for the tree, it matches in some sort of way

It is also very convenient way to get a tree

I perfer duck or turkey instead of the non-kosher pig roast.

I have never been a great fan of x-mas, but it's a good time for some hunting

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew out this year for a late season bull elk permit that begins on Christmas day and goes through the 21st of Feb. So I hope to start a shoot a 330+ bull on Christmas every five years tradition .

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one that chopped down trees with a shotgun. A 16 ga. with a load of # 6 or 7 shot works quite well. Don't do it for Christmas but it was a lot of fun when I was a college student in Georgia and was out hunting. As for Christmas traditions we like to do the present thing on Christmas Eve & remember that Christmas is when we celebrate Jesus' birthday.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I envy you on your late season hunt.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was still living in CA, I always tried to get out and do some bear hunting if the season was still open. If not, then hogs were on the list.

Now that I'm living in KS, that late doe season is a blast. Wyocowboyshooter and I had a ball last season. We even had to build a new meat pole back at the house to hold all the critters Definately enough meat to get through the year.

-Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Ivan- I live in Houston,TX and we have lots! of geese.
We prefer to eat the specs or Canadas but when you have millions of snow geese that's what we usually end up with.

A great way to cook goose!
don't pluck and clean that sucker- way too much trouble.
We peel the skin back and take a knife and strip the breast meat and thigh meat off of the caracass- cut the meat into strips and put it in a 1gal ZipLok bag- pour Italian salad dressing over it and leave it in the fridge over night
We cook it on the grill as fajita strips-
with fresh pico digio (Mexican relish- tomatoes, peppers- etc..) on tortillias- humm good
the best and easiest way to cook goose I have ever seen!