New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered first X bullet!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This afternoon I shot a small(pan sized) pig with a 210grain Branes X from 73gn of H4895 @ 3000fps from about 10 meters away.

The little sow was running straight at me, the bullet took her between the eyes, turning the head into a messy open pulp, one side completely destroyed and other just ripped from the "exploding" effect of the bones separating.

The bullet continuned along the vertabrea of the neck, clipping the top of the lungs, coming to rest under the skin where the hind leg meets the belly.

Later I will get around to weighing the recovered slug, it did shed one petal.

-

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How did you get the bullet so clean? Mine are usually filled with bone chips, blood, hair, and gristle.

George

[ 10-22-2003, 18:46: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, so are mine, this one just came out like that.

Wierd isn't it, I thought it might have been something the Barnes X bullets do?

If I'm boiling tusks or a skull out I just chuck the bullet into the water then give it a bit of a scrape.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just curious, which caliber?

(my guess, 338-06)
[Cool]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
338 Win mag?

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
......Looking at the engraved rifling marks on that item......I'm going for an early Sako Model 75 in .375 H&H. That single petal loss is symptomatic of the torque caused by mounting German Glass on the rifle........Just guessing of course............. [Wink]

[ 10-23-2003, 00:32: Message edited by: IanF ]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
[QB That single petal loss is symptomatic of the torque caused by mounting German Glass on the rifle........Just guessing of course............. [Wink] [/QB]

Very good Ian! But, I've also seen single-petal loss caused by a left-handed shooter shooting a right-handed gun.

[Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, guys, with 210 gr bullet, it's got to be a 338 Mag. [Cool] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say a hot .338WM round, or one from one of the faster .338's.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Ahh, grasshopper, Barnes makes a .375 caliber 210 grain bullet. It can use that 73 grain charge very well.
By the by, did you know the whole world is born left-handed...and you remain that way until you commit your first sin. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Wink]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Also 73 grains of H4895 looks like a load for the 375 H-H from hodgdon data.

They show 60 grains as max for 210 nosler in the 338.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...I thought I had included the caliber, yep .375H&H.

It was the first animal I have taken with a Barnes so I was curious to see what they do.

Lucj had it the I got to take such an opportune shot that allowd me to recover the bullet.

This is the load I will use for moose next week ( [Big Grin] ) in Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe. I've made arrangements for you and Ian, I will email them to him later today. I just realised I don't have your email address, so send me a PM and I will include you in the loop (assuming the internet gods will be kind to me here in MT, I may have to do a voodoo thing and kill a chicken). Also, what's the guy's name you want me to contact in Hanna? - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote