New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just wanted to share
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't post here alot,because I am a hangunner at heart,but I just wanted to share something here.I have never been able to turn anyone away that wanted to hunt,especially kids.I have been fortunate to have helped in several kids getting started and progressing in hunting.This year I took a young lady that is part of my new in-law family out to try for her first buck.I had hunted hard and let several smaller bucks go thinking about her coming to hunt.We planned and the weather laughed.Snow came,and lots of it.I have never had any success in the snow,so I was concerned.We got her comfortable with the gun she was going to use and first day out we missed on a big doe.The next couple of days were extremely cold and trying,for me as well as my young hunter.Cold,tired and no deer was wearing us down,but we continued at it.Thursady afternoon we saw two huge does but were blowed at without a shot being taken.Friday nothing.Well I pryed my brain into gear and thought about what had happened on our hunting grounds and one stand kept popping up as being a place deer were successfully seen often in the mornings.So on new years morning we went to that stand.A rabbit moseyed by and my mind began to wonder about where to try the afternoon.Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of antler and positioned my little hunter to make the shot.The buck eased into the opening and the shot was taken.The buck was hit hard and the search began.The buck was recovered and a happy young lady had her first buck,and her guide was elated and exhausted.I am so glad I was a part of this and the emotions of the week took their toll.I have never hunted as hard,or had to hunt as hard for anyone including myself.Here's a few pics.

"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence,try orderin' someone else's dog around" unknown cowboy

Posts: 237 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and congratulations to a very lucky young lady!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, a good story and congrats to one very deserving hunter. Kudos to you as well for showing these young ones the joy that exists in the hunt.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Good on both of you!

~Ann

Posts: 19560 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a fine way to start her out. tu2 Since she didn't get it on the first attempt and had to put a bit of effort into it, it makes it real Hunting.

Congratulations to both of you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, that is fantastic.

Howard
Moses Lake, Washington USA
hwhomes@outlook.com

Posts: 2339 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you'll remember that buck long after you've forgotten bigger ones that you killed. Good job.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Very nice! Good on both of you!

Amen!! tu2
Nothing I like seeing more than someone taking a kid hunting, and having them score on a very nice Buck.
Kudos to both of you!!!

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great job,both or you!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote