THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Boat bear hunt in BC, any recommendations?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat bear hunt in BC, any recommendations?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I'm looking at all options for black bears in Alaska, and Canada, still.

I have several outfitters logged on my computer but still searching.

Does anyone have any recommendations for B.C. boat hunts for black bears? I would prefer an outfitter that is ok with filling 2 tags.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
My hunting partner and I are lined out for a DIY hunt on Alaska's Prince of Wales Island for late May and early June. I have booked ferry passage, two night lodging in Craig, a 16 ft. boat w/50 hp motor, overnight in Ketchikan, and a week's cabin rental from Tongass Nat. Forest. Expenses to date are $1215.09 each. We still have to buy licenses, tags, food, and gasoline for the drive to Prince Rupert. Including taxidermy for a successful hunt I don't expect to spend over $2500 for everything. I will post a hunt report upon our return and/or you can send me a PM and I'll lay it out. POW still has some damn big bears and the island is 140 miles by 49 miles with roads and coastal inlets. I think it will still stand a fair amount of hunting pressure. I like to plan these things. It isn't hard but it takes some orchestration.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Honestly, that is why I haven't planned a DIY yet in Alaska.

Please keep me posted. I will be in Alberta the end of May/beginning of June.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
Yes, I'll let you know the outcome. I have found the cost of guided boat hunts to run from a low of about $4800 and head up from there. I suspect you can get a decent hunt for around $6000, less tags, transportation, taxidermy etc. As for me, I don't mind the money, I just want to "do it myself". Maybe next year, if this works, we'll strike out for moose and caribou.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
With Canadian exchange rate at only $1.14 and gas in BC running between .90 and 1.10 per liter ... gas on POW at about $3.00 a Gal (that 50 hp will burn some fuel in a week) ... fleshing and expediting fees (unless you are going to do the fleshing, ears, eyes and lips yourself) ... handeling the required Bear meat salvage (unless you pull the triger after May 31st) ... food for a week (unless your doing PBJ sandwiches everyday) ... license and tags ... meals along the way ... and other unforeseen expenses ... and rugging your Bear ...

I would think that $1250 for all that is a low estimate.

I too would be intersted in what your bottom line turns out to be.

POW coastal waters is no place to sharpen your boating skills. 16 to 20 foot tidal varience. lots of rocks. Some BIG water on the west coast that can 'kick it up' fast ... Makes things interesting. Make sure you have all the required US Coast Guard items ... They usually are not provided with a rental ... a hand held FHV radio or Sat phone is a must IMHO.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muskegex,
Thanks for logging into this thread. We intend to load up on non-perishables in Montana for the duration. We're bringing my Chevy pickup or if you think better of it, my partner has a Dodge diesel. Any opinion there on fuel availability? We have skinned bear before, and if we're lucky, we'll take our time to skin and scrape excess meat and we'll salt the hides for the return home. Also, we will probably get the meat wrapped and frozen in Craig, if of course there's some place to do that. We have some big coolers to drag along for meat packing. Yes, here in Montana, I suppose a bear rug alone will run at least $600-$700 so I may be light on final costs. It's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than Tanzania in December though!

Now, as for that big old ocean out there. You're absolutely right. We are a couple of land lubbers from the northern plains in the middle of the continent. Holy crap! If you are familiar with the island, I have rented the Tongass N.F. cabin on Staney Creek. It is on the west side maybe 40 miles by road north of Craig and about 5 miles south of Naukati. It is buffered from the open Pacific by outward islands. I'm figuring that we will stay inbound of those islands and fiddle fart around in Tuxecan Passage and north into El Capitan passage. Comments?

The reason I rented the bigger outboard is because I was concerned about tidal rips in the really narrow portions of those passages and I really don't want to be carried off to the Aleutians. I was told that tidal range averages about 12 feet. Gonna have to learn how to read the damn tide tables. Hooo-aahh! We also figured to bring some jerry cans of gas for the boat, but I doubt that it will be near enough. The boat has a trailer so I think we can mosey along the road system and launch in different spots. Again, I have been told that boats can be launched (THEY THINK) at Sarker Lake, El Capitan, and way up north at Red Bay. We definitely want to avoid open water.

Lastly, we have Garmin GPS units with marine band, weather, and two radios.

Any other pointers, warnings, or bits of wisdom will be appreciated. Buy you a beer in Ketchikan on Thursday evening, May 25th.

One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
I think diesel is the most expensive at the pump.

Make sure you have the proper paper to transport your hides through Canada. Entry back into the US on the sourthern CA border can be tough. Call ADF&G in Ketchikan 907 225-9513.

I don't believe there is a meat cutter and freezer in Craig. That is the reason most self guided hunters use a B&B or Lodge. They usually have a freezer going. But adds quite alot of $'s to your trip.

I would get a nautical chart for the area you plan on hunting (boating) and study it well. There is a large shallow tideal / mud flat out in front of the Staney Cabin I do believe. Which means at times it is a long ways to the water.

The Sarkar lake launch is for canoe type action. There is a launce at near Staney at Winter Harbor, I think. These are all very rough launches and must be used with the proper tides. No nice blacktop out there. If your GPS does transmit on the VHF marine band you are good. Other wise I would serioulsy think about communication of some kind. Globalstar Sat phones work well and can be rented. Your cell won't work in most places around the Island.

On the evening of the 25th i'll be out east of Ketchikan hunting Bears on the mainland. Thanks for the invite though.

If you don't know how to skin the feet, turn the ears, split the eyes and lips ... I suggest you take a trip to your local taxidermist for some lessons. You should not use any salt untill all this is done.

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote