Tools

30-40 Krag
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
Does anyone still load the 30-40 Krag??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load a few for an old friend who has an even older Win 95. They both shoot well enough he is never out of meat.There is very little in North America that 180 gr bullet at about 2400 fps won't stop if you do your part.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hae loaded for one nothing special. 180 around 2400 it works. have one sitting in the basement now.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking commercially, I think Federal still offers loaded ammo.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I get the urge to do so. It was my dad's gun and I have it now. I don't think I have shot it in over 20 years though. I should think the load should still work though. Just keep in mind that they have very old metal in them, that was never expected to be hot loaded, and the chamber pressures need to be kept on the low side.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Paleohunter>
posted
I mean commerically. Shiloh is now makeing a military carbine version of its 1953 model and they are cahmbering it in 30-40 Krage among others. I already have one of there 1874 models in 45-90 and I want the carbine in a smokeless round that was commercially avalible, but I did not know if any loaded the 30-40 Krag anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have all the stuff to,brass and bullets. Have my grand dads old Krag he was issued sitting in the safe. Haven't shot it in a few years.

Posts: 110 | Location: Southwest Utah | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe I still see 30-40 cartridges on the shelf here yet in the shops. I load them with a flat nose cast 170 gr. bullet, at about 2200 fps, and they are sure death on deer.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paleo, check on the Cowboy shooting sites this round is used in some of the side shoots I have been told, maybe some of those guys and gals can tell if some one is loading them up

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, Winchester still loads it. I got a couple of boxes in a couple of months ago. Of coure it could be old stock that the distributor had on hand.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 30/40 Krag in a T/C Contender handgun!!! I love it!!! [Razz]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Winchester does offer a 180grn powerpoint

[ 02-28-2003, 20:50: Message edited by: JLHeard ]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load my Springfield Krag with 150 grain Hornadays.With 41 grains of IMR#3031,I get 2450 FPS.In 50 years,I've never seen a better Whitetail Whacker out to 150 yards.It's amoung the best out to 200 yards.
Some Guys think that a Loudenboomer gun or a five dollar bullet can be substituted for a shot to the deer's sweetspot. I think that it only gets them a long tracking job and/or hamburger instead of roasts.
For Woodland Whitetails,the Krag is never a mistake.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote