THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    An Elk Hunting Question, About Calling?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An Elk Hunting Question, About Calling?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This fall will be my first elk hunt and I am really looking forward to it. So much has been discussed about rifles, calibers and bullets. I would like to ask a question about the hunt, especially calling. I am an avid turkey and deer hunter here in the Carolinas. I know how much of a role calling plays in your success with deer and turkey. How does that transfer to elk? I have been practicing with a bugle call I bought that makes both cow calls and bugles (Primos "Terminator"). What calls do you guys use??? I really enjoy calling and the thought of calling in a critter the size of a bull elk just blows my mind. Thanks.

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Congrats on planning your first elk hunt, you will love it!

Whether you will be hunting the rut or not, calling can be a big part of elk hunting. For instance, you can use "Cow Talk" to put spooked elk at ease, or to mask the noise you make in the bush. Of course the classic use of a call is bugling bulls in during the rut.

Will you be hunting during the rut? Is this a self guide trip or will you be using an outfitter?

Bugling bulls (and really all elk calling) is quite an art, and a lot of fun. The nuances of effective calling techniques are very subtle and can be somewhat complicated in certain situations. It is not rocket science though.

There are many great books out there that can help, but the best reference I have found for the beginning elk hunter is "Radical Elk Hunting Strategies" by Mike Lapinski. It is definately worth a read.

As far as calls go, my favorite cow call is the Sceery Ace-1. I prefer diaphragms for imitating bull calls and for "hands free" cow calling. At the moment I like the Primos "Ivory Plate" but have had good results from others.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
C_Roy

I'm certainly no expert, so I can tell you what I know from experience pretty quickly.

I've hunted elk twice, both times in central Idaho (the River of No Return Wilderness in (mid-September and just southwest of Salmon in mid-October). Contrary to what I had read, we were surprised to hear bugling on the later hunt, even had a 5X5 going crazy at short range (local buddy ended up getting him the day after we left!). The September hunt was in '87 and it was really hot and dry. We had to hunt north slopes to find any elk and only got one bull to respond (another 5X5 that my partner shot). My grand total elk kill is one spike, from the second hunt.

I used an in the mouth "turkey" diaphragm call with a grunt tube. It took a lot of practice and in the heat of battle, it was all I could do to concentrate on getting good sound! If you can find an enclosed call you like, it'll be a lot less worry!

Sorry for all the jabber, I guess I miss Idaho and I wanted to relive elk hunting. It has been a 10 year dry spell.

Tim

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
Congrats on going elk hunting. You will quikly become addicted. I will try and give you my advice and by no means do I claim to be an expert, but have played with the bulls in AZ a little.

As stated the time of year and weather will play a BIG part on how much bugleing goes on. These bulls get educated very quickly in heavy hunted areas, so I would learn to cow call well and only use bugling to locate and under some situations bugle.

Just my $.02, but alot of times the bugles make the bulls turn there cows and gow the other direction. Cow calls also will sometimes calm the bull, but as with anything don't over due the cow calling either, because if he comes in and you blowing like crazy he will get your direction and not see any elk.

Sorry so long, but I could talk about elk all day long. I have hunted all mine with bow and muzzle loader when lucky enough to get drawn. Have a great time and good shooting!

<Rogue 6>
posted
I've spent alot of time bow and rifle hunting elk. I've watched bulls bounce in to cow calls like of couple of black lab pups. I've watched bulls turn ass over elbows getting away from a bugle and then bark at you like a dog.

Just like has been said don't over use the bugle. There may only be a week or two a year when they really go crazy. Cow calls can work year round. Just like turkey calling soft and suttle works more often then loud and booming.

<Albertahunter>
posted
I hunt elk with bow and rifle every year here in Alberta.Bugling is spotty at best.Season before last,we were out for two days and saw plenty of sign.Not a peep though.The next morning,thebulls would respond to near any noise close to sounding like an elk.The next day,silence.At any rate,more flys will be caught with honey....You know yourself.You'd rather chase ladies than scrap.Right?
As far as what calls work,I like Primos palate plates for their ease of use.Also a Primos Lead cow&calf call is easy to use when he's 25 yards away and you're shaking so bad you're teeth hurt.(think I'm exagerating,just wait)Good luck with your hunt and happy trails!