Find
Notify
Tools

Where to hunt Scimitar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I'm looking for a place to hunt scimitar horned oryx. Can anyone recommend a place?

Thanks

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only on a ranch in Texas I believe.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sevens, Ijust killes a 39.5 in scimitar 3 weeks ago! It was a lot of fun and it's already in the process of being stuffed!! Oh yea, Texas............wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can hunt them as well as Addax in this part of the world...you just aren't likely to ever find any as they are almost certainly extinct in my neighborhood. The last sighting was in the early 1970s. Sadly, you aren't likely to see hunting of them in your lifetime outside of Texas. Frowner

You never know though as there are still reports in some areas of Leopard and Cheetah in Egypt. Those critters gotta be living off something besides the also rare Slender Horned Gazelle.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Can anyone give me the name of a specific ranch they can recommend?

Wapiti7,

Any pics? What ranch did you shoot him on?

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drop me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic and some info on my buddies guide service. You would be hunting around Austin,TX.....wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Wapiti, sent you a PM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the hunting Property for Scimitar HIGH FENCED ?!

r.
Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Almost all, if not all of the hunting for Scimitar Horned Oryx is behind high fence. They are not one of the free-ranging exotics here.....and they are expensive.

Bob

Here are a couple of places to start. Check references.

Comanche Crossing Link

Hunting in Texas Link

Nueses Ranch Link

Shonto Ranch Link

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
There are a few wild ones in West TX (and Gemsbok) but those are on a public draw and only a few available out of 10,000 applicants or more.

Sevens, a friend of mine has a surplus of female Oyrx, some over 40" that are currently $1500. The only real difference is the diameter of the horn is a little less. Males tend run in the 4500-5000 range anywhere they have big ones.

If you're serious PM me and I'll send you a phone #. They don't last long at this price. The location is 20 miles south of Falfurrias, TX. You would fly into McAllen or Corpus Christi. McAllen would be closer.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IndianHead Ranch down at Del Rio has them on 10,000 acres. $3500, no matter what they score, and it is year 'round.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote