New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feral Hogs & Wild Boar in Texas?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like some info on where to hunt these rascals in Texas...thinking of going to Dallas SCI this next year and would like to add on a hunt either before or after the convention. Have in-laws in both Ft Worth and San Antonio but will hunt anywhere it's good.

[ 09-21-2002, 02:13: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
DB Bill- I'm sure you got the email but for the benefit of others-

If you have any interest in hog hunting in Texas
there is a great website.

TexasBoars.com

The- General Hunting and Trapping Board
is the main message board that most of us hang out on.

[ 09-21-2002, 03:21: Message edited by: CaptJack ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea about the quality of services they offer, but you should check out this website for the sound track alone:

www.affordablehoghunts.com

They are close to Dallas. You might check them out.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

I have a great place for you if it is not too far. The Nueces Ranch is about 1.5 hours south of San Antonio east of Cotulla. It is 7,000 acres of great low-fenced hunting. You can take two javelinas and as many hogs as you want. I have hunted with Frank and Hal 3 times and am going back after deer season. It is only $100 per day including your room and the javelinas. Hogs are $.50/lb. and the third one is free. Feel free to contact me with any question. They are good folks and the hunting is great. Tell Frank that Bob Connell told you to call in order to get these prices, otherwise you will pay the prices listed on the web-site.
Nueces Ranch Link

Good Hunting,

Bob
(210)495-5054
Here are some pictures from the last two hunts:
 -
 -

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB,
I have the absolute best Hog huting in the world at Del Rio, $399 per day and all the hogs you can shoot and they have a lot of hogs..It is a two day hunt normally and they have a nice lodge and you have the whole ranch to yourself...guide is furnished and you do your own cooking and furnish your own food...I has a well stocked kitchen...A cook and food can be arranged if one so desires....

Also have a 2 doe, 2hog two day hunt for the same price....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bo-n-aro
posted Hide Post
Bill, I have booked several hunts for clients, friends and myself with William Nixon. You wont meet a nicer guy. He has some great hog hunting from stands over feeders, or spot and stalking. It is river bottom land and hold lots of hogs. The good thing is its within 45 minutes of Dallas. He has a cabin on the place if you want to spend the night. His prices are very reasonable.
Hope this helps.
Drop me an e-mail and I can give you the information.
Don Sherpy
dsherpy@hotmail.com

Posts: 594 | Location: Plano Texas | Registered: 15 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Speaking of hunting hogs ... can anyone recommend a slug for a NON Rifled shotgun ? Have the chance to hunt hogs here in ALA and I could use my 308 but want the rapid fire of the benelli(I'll be on the ground rather than a stand). I have old Brenneke and some BRI sabot but wonder if there is anything better on market that I haven't kept up with ? Ideas ?

Posts: 10 | Location: West of Ft Benning, GA | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Desert Rat>
posted
To: Bob from Texas

The hunt that you described at the Nueces Ranch sounds like exactly what I need for a family hunt with my son and daughter. I keep trying to contact you for more details.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Desert Rat,

I am on the go quite a bit. If I am out just leave a message and I will get back with you. You can also e-mail me: bconnell@satx.rr.com

Good Hunting,

Bob [Cool]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the smooth bore, try either one,although the BRI would do better in a rifled bore due to the sabot.
I have one of the old 870 riot guns and have taken four or five hogs with it useing the Breneeke,keep you shots down around 75 yards or so and it will do the trick.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Tell Frank that Bob Connell told you to call in order to get these prices, otherwise you will pay the prices listed on the web-site.

I'm sure glad you pointed this out. Quite a difference in the package you quoted and what they advertise.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I have the absolute best Hog huting in the world at Del Rio, $399 per day and all the hogs you can shoot and they have a lot of hogs.

Would four hogs a day be a fair expectation? Have many with decent tusks come out of there?

I mentioned your Del Rio operation to a work-related friend in San Antonio last year. He was quite familiar with the area and we were talking about taking some hogs at this place if I flew down. Great guy.

He was killed in a head-on collision the next day.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
...thinking of going to Dallas SCI this next year ...

Dallas SCI? Them's fightin' words, son! [Mad]

We (DSC) broke away from SCI long ago to form our own club [Wink] ... which I believe is now the second largest Safari Club in the US. (Next to Safari Club International, of course)

[ 09-26-2002, 02:01: Message edited by: Buffalobwana ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another "senior moment"...what can I say?

I don't really like Reno (love the SCI convention there's just something about Reno I don't like?) so that's why I'm thinking Dallas....considering I will be flying in from California is it worth the trip is I don't go hog hunting? Visiting the in-laws is, of course, a non-issue.

[ 09-26-2002, 02:50: Message edited by: DB Bill ]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel,
I think 4 to 6 hogs would be a reasonable expectation if everything went right and you stayed on point all day for both days...Some have done better and some worse...It would also depend on how many coyotes, Bobcats, deer one decided to shoot also...Lots of varibles involved...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

Here's some links for your reference.

Dallas Safari Club
http://www.biggame.org/
2003 convention is January 9 - 12, 2003
http://www.biggame.org/Convention/index.html

Houston Safari Club
http://www.houstonsafari.org/
2003 convention is January 17 - 19, 2003
http://www.houstonsafari.org/2003conv.htm

Both clubs have great annual conventions. I belong to the Houston Safari Club. The Dallas convention is larger than ours but both are very good. Both sites contain information about their conventions. I hope you find the links useful.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I have some great hog hunts in Eagle Pass, TX. The ranch is 15,000 acres and it's loaded with big deer and tons of pigs. A 3 day hunt is $750, and includes meals, lodging, guide fee, plus unlimited pigs and predators. Feel free to call or e-mail with questions. My site will be down for another week or so, so e-mail me at: ggrod@msn.com if you want a flyer on the ranch.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote