New
Find
Notify
Tools

A bust for me today, but......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy of mine came up to visit from one of the far corners of our fine state this weekend and we had a great time hunting; it was a bust for me, but no big deal ~ plenty of hunting season left ~ but my friend punched his tag today:

He's originally from Texas, but didn't grow up hunting until we met when he was living here in Chinook and I took him out a few times with me. He caught he bug hard, and I'm proud of him - this was only his second deer, so I'm glad that he was able to take one home. It's no mega-trophy, but it is one hell of a good time with good company, and was hunted hard. Very cold temperatures, strong winds and even some snow flurries, coupled with some long, hard stalking and even some tracking. That brushy area behind him is where we finally bagged him. It's quite thick and a frigid, thigh-deep creek runs through it. A hunt to remember, for sure.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Congrats and they are all trophies to be sure.

We went out Saturday. I had my brother(15) and my second oldest(12) with me and my oldest (14) was with his step dad. We didn't get anything but had a great time. Turns out we had passed on five different bucks by the time the day was over.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice trip. The time I hunted in Chinook, it snowed the whole time after one nice afternoon. We still had a good time, shot one and missed one.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14434 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice one Tas. That looks like great country.

I have a great recipe for making nice kabas out of that "spiker" as we call it!

Our spring hunt season has just started and I hope to take my 14 year old out soon.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, guys - if you think the scenery is nice from this view, you should have seen what was behind me. That area sits right at the foot of the Bear's Paw Mountains, some of the prettiest country that Montana has to offer; and as you can see, some of the most un-spoiled.

Miller - plenty of season left - good luck to you and your family!

Tom - as you know, it's some good times up here, for sure ~

Naki - I'd love to see that recipe ~ as I recall you're a member at the Foods of the World Forum; please, if you wouldn't mind, feel free to share that recipe there!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote