THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    when is the peak Tahr rut in New Zealand?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when is the peak Tahr rut in New Zealand?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This also posted on NZ/AUs forum, but that does not get much traffic...

Can anyone here confirm the range of dates and the heat of the rut for Tahr in NZ?

I am planning an APril-May trip for 2004 and want to hit it just right. HOpe to catch the bulls on the easier ground with the nannies and mob.

I have read that the last week April and first week May are best. observations from those that have hunted or are local are needed.

Jamie

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
J, you will want a bull when his coat is in it's prime. I think most guys will tell you to hunt in June/July. I was in NZ in July 2001 for Tahr. We saw bulls every day. We went up & down that bloody big mountain (3) days in a row. On the 3rd day, we spotted a nice bull w/ a great coat about 2500ft above us & decided to work up to him. By the time we worked around & up, he had come down a 1000ft or so giving me an easy 100yd
+ shot. I passed a shot on a better bull the day before because we thought we might lose him off a cliff. I really didn't have the legs to go up that mountain a 4th day. A great hunt though. Now if I could just draw that Montana RM goat tag!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if you need more info drop me a line i will be more than happy to help you with thar/chamios in
N.Z
REGARDS DANIEL

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamie, I think you are right about the rut - May is probably a good bet. As Fred wrote, the coat actually gets a tad better in winter (June/July). In particular towards the end of the winter, they get bleached by the sun. Weather may a problem in winter, although in NZ, it is hard to know what weather you'll get (in particular on the West Coast of the South Island).
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote