New
Find
Notify
Tools

NM elk guide inquiry
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of a friend (hate to start a post like that, but that's what it is) purchased an elk hunt on a 45,000 acre private ranch near Winston, New Mexico, and is now there, wanting to hunt, but his guide has called in sick. A licensed guide is required for this hunt, I'm told. Anyone have contact info of a licensed guide in the Winston area who might want to pick up the work and help the hunter stay legal? Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
email or call Johnny Hughes with Elite Outfitters. good guy and if anyone can figure out a new place, one of his guides can. He may have a guide that can help. His website and email are as follows:

http://www.eliteoutfitters.com/

johnny@eliteoutfitters.com

Posts: 80 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 28 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In NM, non-residents can hunt without a guide. If the ranch owner does not object, he can hunt on his own, if he is able.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he put in for the “Guided” tag in the draw. My brother and I elk hunted the Gila in that area a few years ago. If I were him, I would just call the warden in the area. I hunted deer in that unit this year and met the warden. He’s a nice guy and should be able to help him out.

And if he talks to him – tell him the 2 guys from California took a nice 4x4!

beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.bluemountainoutfitters.com/ Bob Atwood of Blue mountain outfitters has filled in when my guide backed out on a oryx hunt in july. Highest possible recommendation. Have a great trip. WFH

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how things turn out for the guy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another good one.

Beaverhead Outfitters
Jack & Kaye Diamond
HC 30 Box 446
Winston, NM 87943

Ph 575-772-5795
Fx 575-772-5517

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote