Find
Notify
Tools

Successful Wyoming Sheep Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Greetings Gentlemen,

I haven't seen too many sheep hunting reports yet this season, so I thought some of you might enjoy mine. On my 16th try, I drew a tag for Area 1 this year in the NW corner of WY. I had already selected Corey Fischer of Crandall Creek Outfitters as my guide. He is a 2nd generation sheep hunter and came recommended by F&G as well as several other hunters. We packed 14 miles into his excellent base camp to hunt the NW corner of the unit near Yellowstone. Sheep populations seemed healthy, and we saw rams every day we were in the unit. There was a surprising absence of elk and deer. There's no question in my mind of the profound effect of the wolf population in this area upon those herds.
As you can see, the base camp was very comfortable, with cook tent, sleeping tent, and a shower set up. Each day we rode up out of the drainage to glass the ridges surrounding our area. On the second day of hunting we saw four promising rams, one clearly heavier than the others. After the requisite down, across, and up the drainage, we found the largest ram in the group at 200 yards, lying under a tree facing towards us. Although we couldn't see him well from either the left or right side, he was clearly older, and carried his mass out well. I couldn't resist, and shot him from there, with the bullet passing through the right shoulder, down the back and exiting above the left hip. I used a Kevin Weaver 300 Win Mag with 168 grain Barnes TTSX at 3225 fps. We were unable to find the bullet, but I don't think it could have performed better. What an exciting moment! I had not been sheep hunting for 15 years and had forgotten the amazing sense of accomplishment and satisfaction associated with hunting these beautiful animals. My sheep was 9 1/2 years old and scored 170 6/8, a great ram for Area 1. This, of course, is a reflection on the sheep guide, not the hunter. We packed the hide, horns, and meat back down, across, and up to the horses, then back to camp. Two days later I was on my way back to Kansas, wishing my hunt hadn't ended so soon.
I was impressed with the sheep in Area 1 as well as the the Fischer's operation. My only regret is that I won't live long enough to hunt Wyoming sheep again!

Posts: 41 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done! Congrats on a grand old ram!!

I hope to draw a tag someday and chase sheep. One of my buddies drew a mountain goat tag here in CO and we had a great time!

Kevin is a great gun builder. It's less than 15 miles round trip from my place to his. He's in the process of building a custom 404 Jeffery for me at the moment.

Congrats again!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! A great hunt, fine ram, and excellent camp and guide. Can't beat that! Big Grin

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram! Congratulations.

We were in sheep country three days before sheep season opened and two days after. We also never seen an elk, a moose, but I did see one doe deer! I was a little shocked.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You done good!!!!Congrats. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Sheep hunting is truly special .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a beautiful ram! tu2

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great mass on the ram, thanks for the report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great hunt (sweet camp). And a nice ram too... Congratulations!

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and a fine ram....can't get much better than that. Too bad for the elk and deer herds though. That must have an impact on an outfitter/guides income.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Super ram!!! Well done. clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Jay,

That's a fine ram. Huge congrats all around.

Thank you for sharing your hunt.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Super ram!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Nicely done, great ram!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome!! Thanks for posting.

Doug

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
That's a Dandy
Congrat's

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great hunt and a terrific ram!

Peter

Posts: 120 | Location: Oshkosh, WI | Registered: 21 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super ram, congratulations!

I only hope to draw a good area in 1 state in the future... many more years of putting in probably.

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Huge congrats. We have worked with Corey and he does a great job...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome Ram! Thanks for sahring.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Well done!!
Congratulations

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all the Points Kevin has I surprised you beat him to that one...
Sweet !!

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
Great Wyoming ram - especially for area 1.

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That is an exceptional ram and the wait made it sweeter.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote