New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a McNab??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was surfing a red/roe deer stalking site and they were making it a selling point that it is possible to accomplish a "McNab" and in fact 2 people did it last year. I assume it is some kind of Grand Slam or Big Five equivalent, but have never heard the term before. Any insight on this? Don't remember what site and can't find the address in my history menu so I can't even reference ya'll to the web page.

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never mind. I found it. Guess I should use the search engines a bit more before asking silly questions For those that are (or are not) curious, a "McNab" is catching a salmon, shooting a brace of grouse, and a trophy red stag in 24 hours. Not sure of the history on this one.

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McNab is offered by Fair Chase Safaris in South Africa http://gunlinks.co.za as well. Obviously not with a Red Stag so one wonders about the validity of the term McNab. It would be interesting to know the history behind the name though. Anyone from the UK that can tell us?

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
John MacNab is a book by the great author, statesman, soldier, diplomat, John Buchan. His fictional thriller John Macnab is written and set in the 1920s and is a story about 3 successful businessmen/ statesmen types, bored with the tedium of their lives, who rent a remote cottage in the Scottish highlands and then anonymously wager the adjoining estates that they can poach a stag or salmon undetected between a given period of time. Needless to say they achieve it, there is a villain and a love interest. Most of the book describes the chase and is a classic read for the sportsman.

The term has been corrupted and applied to the extremely daunting task taking a stag, brace of grouse and salmon on the same day. The stag and grouse should be straight forward enough but the salmon would be the difficult quarry here. Stocks are declining due to offshore cage farming and netting by domestic and foreign fishing fleets.

In The Field magazine there are sometimes features about people trying to do a proper poaching MacNab for country sports charity fundraising.

There are unofficial alternatives depending on the availability of game; MacCumbria -Roebuck, Brown Trout, Grouse, (I did this in 36 hours). My own personal variation is The (Belizean) MacJungle - Howler Monkey, Jungle turkey, cat fish, the latter being taken with a hand grenade. All perfectly ethical and edible.

There has got to be a MacSafari - Kudu, brace of Sand Grouse and a Nile perch. Who is going to be the first to claim that prize?!

[This message has been edited by Deerdogs (edited 08-11-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is brilliant! I think you may have started something here.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, I normally go down early on opening morning, blast a Bambi (drag, clean & process), go get the World's Finest BBQ and top off the evening with a couple of Blue Ribbons.

So, is Blasting Bambi, BBQ and Blue Ribbon considered a MacBubba?

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
What would you call it in Montana?

A few years ago I floated the Missouri River from Cascade to Ulm. My buddy and I shot a limit of pheasants each, a limit of mallards each, caught a limit of rainbows each, and he shot a nice whitetail buck.

I could have killed a whitetail buck and a bull elk also, but didn't have the tags.

BTW, that was the only elk I ever saw in that area.

------------------
Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is terminal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sarge,
NOW THAT SOUNDS LIKE FUN!!!!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of foxshot
posted Hide Post
It�s all about the royal McNab, Usually catch the salmon, shoot the stag and walk up the grouse, then for the royal McNab you have to take down the cook, preferably female! Another McNab would be to write to the owner of the property and challenge him to a McNab of sorts; it�s a gentleman�s challenge, usually works best with a friend! The challenge is to shoot a stag and present it in front of the house without any keeper or owner being any the wiser, if the gent in question is caught they must donate the value of the beast or the letting of the beast to a charity of the owners choice, if the Poacher is not caught the owner must present the value of the beast to a charity of the poachers choice.( Keeps all the keepers on there toes and is a bit of fun)

Posts: 19 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jagter
posted Hide Post
In SA there is something like an annual Lady Grey Royal MacNab.

It is made up of a mountain reedbuck, guinea-fowl grey wing pheasant and rainbow trout.

Article in September issue of SA Hunter pages 66 & 67 for more detail.

F Carvalho, with his guide Deon Voster, was the MacNab winner in June 2006.

OWLS
My Africa, with which I will never be able to live without!

Posts: 654 | Location: RSA, Mpumalanga, Witbank. | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Huntersvideo,dk has a video from Scotland that is called the McNab, timing is evrything to get that bag at the right time.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first time that I ever heard of a McNab was an old article written by Elgin Gates .. with African game ...

Posts: 1544 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote