New
Find
Notify
Tools

hunting down under *really*
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The post about hunting in Australia and New Zealand got side tracked a bit, I thought I'd do it justice by opening a new thread.

GonHunting asked about hunting down under, and off-group we exchanged some info. I thought I might share it with you all, maybe somebody else is interested.

[commercial mode on] ;-)
If you don't count the deals where you pay a farmer $50 and you hunt pigs on his land (if you can find a good place, where there really are pigs galore), Australia can never be *really* cheap. There is no cheap labour in Australia, the Aboriginals are in general not interested in the work (excuse the generalization), and non-native hands want decent pay.

However, if you know your way around there are some interesting hunts to be had, a good Outback experience, without the "what kind of ice-cream do you want for desert" type of buff/banteng hunts of the big operators.

If we start with ferals, I know of a few places and local outfitter/ranchers in SW Queensland who cater for hunts for pigs, rams, goats, dingos, scrub bulls, donkey, kangaroo, and even camels. You'll have to think about from AUS$ 350 up to AUS$ 500 per day (some US$ 230-325), which gives you either ranch accommodation on some of the ferals (the former quote), or a mobile safari, chasing the ever moving herds of camels in the deep Outback. Trophy fees are marginal compared to most African species
Goats AUS$ 200 a head, Big Horn Oz Ram AUS$ 150, Scrub Bull AUS$ 1250, big pigs AUS$ 150, all approximate figures.

Water buffalo is never cheap, but I know of a place that has a very sharply priced hunt, on a huge ranch-like territory...you can roughly think in the area of 60-75% of the "big" operators (who charge from US$ 6000,- upward, sometimes much upward). No canned hunt, real wild buff, just outside the area where payments to the Aboriginals have to be made (these payments run up to AUS$ 3000 per buff, hence the hefty prices some operators charge).

A 12 day package, incl, 9 Game Animals, all free range for Water Buffalo, Camel, Scrub Bull, Donkey, Feral Boar, Pacific Goat, Big Horn Ram, Dingo, Kangaroo, Fully guided and accommodated safari, including all trophy fees, trophy field care and shipment to local taxidermist, loan of a rifle and ammo, visitor�s shooters licenses and gun import fees, Australian GST tax, with no bag limits, no hunting licenses, no tags,.(Excluded domestic air transport within Australia � expected US $ 700 p/p), can be had starting around US$ 8000.

As of next year there'll be a package which includes deer in the area near Brisbane, where there are some free ranging populations.

And then there are of course the top of the bill water buffalo/banteng and game park deer hunts. And for the more adventurous, sambar hunts in the Victorian Alps... Deer/chamois/tahr in New Zealand, waterfowling in NZ too....jeez, there's too much to describe in a single post.

Drop me a line if you're interested. Though these days I'm trying to establish my network here in Canada, and get Ozzies to come hunt here, the lines the other way around are open and my Australian partner is working full time on finding or developing hunting opportunities off the beaten track.

Frans Diepstraten
Terra Incognita North America
[commercial mode off];-)

BTW, I'm finally off to the mountains to scout for sheep, so you'll have to be patient for a few days.

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Not trying to start anything Frans but whats a Big horn ram? The only thing I can think of is a feral merino.

Bakes

Posts: 8052 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bakes

Is there any feral sheep in Australia? I would have thought the blowflies and maggots would finish them off if they weren't crutched regularly for maggots.

Now I do have a feral merino hanging on my wall. From NZ. A trophy of opportunity when hunting red stag. The flock was on a hill and black and brown with dirt. Having just taken a nice stag I thought why not, I'll probably never purposely hunt one and unlikely ever come across a herd by chance again. This herd moved over a wide range and just happened to be in the right place at the right time. It is supposed to be one of the best set of horns taken but I have not had it scored.

Then there is the Arapawa rams but I'm sure this one had more merino in it.

No blowflies in NZ.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I got carried away with the rams there, bighorns (from Alberta!) being on my mind for the last couple of weeks ;-)

Either feral merinos or Arapawa rams. I've yet to find somebody who will fly to Australia especially for any of those...but if it tickles your fancy, like Nitrox described.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few properties are doing guided hunts for Pigs in Cape York/ North Queensland for about AUS$250 per day. Strathburn, Bertihaugh and Dorunda Stations are supposed to have lots of pigs for that price. Pigs have no trophy fee but scrub bulls do.
Try www.strathburn.com or www.capeyorkhunting.com.au for ideas.
If anyone needs a partner to reduce costs to hunt at these places(or someothers I know of) drop me a line. I,m always keen to go. Since I live in Cairns ,which is the closest civilization to these places. I can help with info , gear or anything else.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Dorunda Station still for sale?

Frans

one of us
posted Hide Post
I,m not sure if Dorunda was sold. I might be going there soon as they are still offering hunting. I will give any hunting reports for any good hunts I do in Cape York in the future.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just rang Dorunda Station. It is not for sale and they are still offering guided and self guided hunts for very reasonable rates.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, my cousin was seriously interested a while back (two years), but he couldn't come up with the cash that was asked at that time...wonder if it is still in the same hands...but don't bother to check unless the info lands in your lap.

Frans