New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey hunting education?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there someplace that has a good read on how to turkey hunt? I'm not a novice hunter, but I am a novice turkey hunter. And I understand turkey hunting can be very challenging and detail oriented. I have a friend who told me he went 12 times before he didn't mess something up. I would like to try and cut down that number for myself.
Maybe a book on how to hunt turkeys?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally if you can hunt deer you can kill turkeys. I haven't found them to hard to hunt.

I killed my bird Thursday in a blinding snow storm.

They were not responding to calls so I snuck up on a group of 7 hens 3 gobblers picked the biggest one out and wacked him at 40 yards.

I have killed them by calling,still hunting, ambushing and stalking them.

As with any critter one hunts learn their habits be prepared to change as they do.

One big disadvantage for them is they don't worry about smell. I killed a turkey the first time I went out I don't think I ever failed on filling my turkey tag.

If your a good hunter you can kill turkeys.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
You won't like this answer, but the best way to learn to turkey hunt is to get out in the field and go turkey hunting. I've had the pleasure to hunt turkeys in many different states and turkeys act differently depending on where they live. For me, Easterns tend to roost wherever they end up at dusk, whereas Merriams' will go great lengths to roost in the same tree night after night. In short, scouting the patterns and habits of the turkeys you will be hunting will give you the best shot at breaking a beak.

For information, I really like the NWTF website and I would recommend becoming a member.
For me there is no bigger thrill than listening to a tom gobbling on the roost and being able to call him into range. Good luck this season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9TP5hkBk7Q

"Turkeys are so dumb they are smart"

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest reading a few copies of magazines featuring turkey hunting... and then going to Hard Knocks U. I have been hunting turkeys here in Wisconsin for twenty years now, on both public and private land, mostly in the spring, but have also taken a few in the fall as "targets of opportunity" while bowhunting for deer. I have taken one nearly every year I could and have "guided" my sons with them shooting a few as well.
I have had very good success on the private land I hunt, largely because I know it very well. I am well aware of where the birds tend to like to roost and the places they like to go to feed and hang out at various times of day and season. So if you have the opportunity to do a lot of scouting, it really will help a lot, even on public land.
I have also found that it increases your chances of success if when you set up on a bird you have seen or heard that you not place any kind of barrier (such as a creek of ANY size, or even a well-tended four-strand fence) between you. Although the stupid things can fly, they don't seem to want to do that, even to get laid. Go figure.
For me the hardest part of turkey hunting is figuring how much to call, when to stop, when to do so to "encourage" a tom that is gobbling, and whether to call at all. All I can say is that you need to develop a feel for that largely through trial and error.
The first several years I hunted I used a hen decoy or two, but I never do any more. I have found that I have better success if the tom can only hear, but not see, the "hen." Too many times I have had them spot my decoy and then refuse to come within range.

There's lots more, and if you want to PM me I would love to tell you what I know. I love spring turkey hunting. I like being in the woods this time of year (although this particular spring has been awful!) And I love calling them in. Afriend of mine says it's like hunting for 25 pound elk, which I think describes it pretty well. Go out there and do it!

Posts: 570 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the two biggest keys to hunting a turkey successfully are patience and the ability to not blink an eye if any are in sight. When one is working it's way in to you you literally can't blink or you're busted. Whereas a deer may look and try to get a second opinion with one of it's other senses if it sees you, a turkey will be gone pronto and not give you a second chance.

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have a copy of Turkey Hunting Spring & Fall by Doug Camp. It's a good beginners books. It's been around a long time so I dont know if it is still in print. But like others said, best to get out in the woods and hunt by trial and error.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I cant recal the exact name of the book off the top of my head but call makers (Knight & Hale) put out a turkey hunting book. I found it very good with lots of tips from two seasoned veterans.
You can kill turkeys with woodsman ship. I still do from time to time. Getting one to come to the call is a much bigger thrill.
Just to start you off. Use your scouting abilitys from deer hunting and locate a place with lots of birds. Go in and listen, if you know there in the area but not being vocal. Make 3 yelps every 15 minutes. If noting happens in an hour move to a different location. If you get on gobbeling make sure to not answer him. Make him answer you. This is why patience is the key to calling one in. You are asking him to come to you, which is not the normal way things work.

Visit the Turkey section of the "Georgia outdooor news" forum. Its very active and you will learn alot.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After turkey hunting Tue-Wed of this week, I must say the most important thing in turkey hunting is finding a good way to keep the ticks and chiggers off of you.

I pulled off no less than 3 dozen ticks on Wed. And I am covered up in chiggers. Makes me want to stay at home and wait impatiently on deer season.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turkeys are not the smartest animals ,but react to any movement by fleeing.You do not have to worry about scent with them.get a CD on calling and try to imitate the calls,but you need not be perfect,cause the Toms don`t care.I would either get a pop up blind to hide my movement ,or some kind of camo material to make a makeshift blind out of.I use a crow call or an owl hoot to locate Toms and get them to gobble.I try to put them to bed at night(Watch were they Roost)and be there about an about before light in the morning.I use 2 or 3 hen decoys and a Jake decoy.I place the decoys about 25 to 30 yd s from the blind so I can tell that the Toms are in range.I use my Bow with guillotine blades and go for a neck shot.Good luck,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote