THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Norwegian to hunt deer in Minnesota, tips anyone?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Norwegian to hunt deer in Minnesota, tips anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Also, you COULD cross the U.S./Canada border at the northwestern most part of Minnesota into Manitoba and be placed directly in the Sandilands (aka Deer Hunter Heaven). It's basically a free-for-all public forest for all kinds of hunting. Just a thought. All you'd need is a non-resident license, which isn't very expensive if I recall correctly...

On the other hand, with this whole beef thing going on, it might not be the best idea...

Just make sure you come again and I'd be happy to let you use one of my tree stands in that region!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just watch out for all those damm Swedes.
Skoglund

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boreal,

your recomendations make a lot of sense. I will be hunting in Canada this fall under, I guess, very similar conditions. Just sitting there either in a tree stand or a lawn chair can become boaring, especially when the density of animals is low like in your Northern forests. To stillhunt and move around a little more sounds very reasonable and promising. I will for sure give it a try in November.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's too bad you aren't hunting the last week of November, we could take you on a wild ride in zone three south of Minneapolis. We hunt the small woodlots and swamps driving deer out into the arms of the old, experienced shooters posted at the end of the drives. Then we go into stands before dark. You would be amazed at the people in the nieghborhood we talk to during our week of hunting.

The Lutheran churches in our area are heavily Scandinavian. The woman stand around talking about thier Norwegian background "My grandparents were Norwegian", My great grandparents were too", blah, blah, blah. After listening to the elitism on display my father always breaks in with his "my parents were Swede and Dane so I guess I'm Norwegian too". No one even cracks a smile.

Posts: 309 | Location: kentucky | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just fot a reply from the ATF, 6-8 weeks processing time for application.... bye bye hunt. However, my girlfriends brother is a avid hunter, and he will let me borrow his Remington BDL in 270... YEBA! I have checked this out, and as long as I have a valid hunting permit, I am allowed to carry it. Will hunt after all!

Posts: 149 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the info. Zone 1 it is! Mntrapper, do you know where I can find maps that indicate public land? I do not want to get caught trespassing! If you can give me a hint for a "hot spot", somewhere you would like to go if you did not know the area and had some day�s deer hunting, I would be most grateful. Perhaps you could PM me your phone numbers, if you are serious about showing me around? You are very helpful, thank you! So, you also shoot a drilling? I used to own one in 12-70, 6.5x55sm, I traded it in for a 20-3", 6.5x57R. I like the balance much better, use it mostly for roe deer hunting, and also hunting grouse in the mountains. I carry a scope in a leather pouch by my side, and mount it when I need it for longer shots. Great fun to pluck the birds from afar with the rifle barrel! The 6.5 are a great deer cartridge, the rimmed version great in double rifles and combination guns.

<boreal>
posted
The link below brings you to an interactive land ownership map. It is from the Minnesota DNR web site that has already been mentioned. Once you zero in on a region, more specific maps are available from the US forest service [if you choose a national forest(NF) like Chippewa NF, Superior NF, etc.] or the Mn DNR. Aerial photos are available on the DNR website also. They are extremely helpful.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/compass.html

Topographical maps are available from the US geological Service website. http://geography.usgs.gov/ They are also usually available at local sport shops, but don't depend on it.

Private property needs to be posted before it is off limits to hunting, with exceptions like fenced land and agriculture land with standing crops. But its best to ask permission anyway. Its the right thing to do, and you might make some friends. There are lots of folks of Norwegian heritage in Minnesota. You should find info on tresspass laws on the DNR website.

The heaviest whitetail on record is a Northern Minnesota buck that approached 500 pounds, live weight (also on the DNR website), but the average mature buck is around 180-220 pounds (field dressed). Check the regulations for required minimum cartridge. Generally it is at least .24 caliber, like the .243 Win. Any 30 cal is a good choice.

And don't shoot any wolves, as a hefty fine and jail time could result.

Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all! The links are great, I am soooo exited about this hunt! Exotic for me to travel across the world for the two best things in the world: Love and hunting. I might contact the sons of Norway lodge, great idea! Have decided on bringing my Blaser take down in 300 wsm. Have to decide on the load though, either 180 grains Scirocco, 180 grains Barnes TSC or 165 or 150 grains GS custom... Decissions desissions.... FUN! Again, thanks
Oh, btw. Anyone that has a link on how to build a tree stand? I do not use it here in Norway, I hunt by stalking mainly, and calling during the rut. How do you guys go about picking a good spot, and building the stand?

<boreal>
posted
I've hunted northern Minnesota for 40 years or so. Most people (me included) grew up building permanent tree stands out of small trees, etc. We cleared shooting lanes and made quite a big deal of it. Then we sat there day after day, freezing our butts off, and being bored to death. The thinking is/was that if you picked a good spot and were lucky, a big buck would eventually wander past. Many folks still do that, but many now use portable stands. If you insist on a tree stand, I suggest that you purchase a good portable. You can move it from spot to spot, as needed. www.cabelas.com has some fairly good ones. Also, if you read the regulations on the DNR website, you will see the restrictions on tree stands. One regulation that allows any person to claim your permanent stand if it is unoccupied and preempt you if you arrive while they are in it (prevents preemtion, by you, of a public hunting spot), you might see one advantage to having a portable.

I quit using tree stands about 25 years ago, except that I sometimes use them while hunting deer with archery gear or handgun. I like "still hunting" or moving around from spot to spot. I often build several ground blinds and still-hunt between them, sit in one for a while (maybe have a small fire, eat lunch, etc.), and move to the next. I often carry a bolt of camoflauged material that I can use for an instant blind by attaching the ends to two trees, and then hiding behind it. I hunt some of the thickest wooded areas and have snuck up on many deer. It can definitely be done. You see a lot more deer, yet you often don't get a good shot because many of them see you first. Stalking is not practiced much in the thick stuff, but deer can often be seen in a field or clear-cut, and can be stalked. I like moving around and "mixing it up" while deer hunting because stand hunting is way boring. If you are an experienced stalker, you will do fine in our woods. I carry a small doe call and use it infrequently. The rut should be in full swing during the hunting season, but they have not yet been very active around my house in NE MN. You can rattle in a big buck once in a while during the rut. If you know how to do it, give it a go! Beginners usually just scare everything out of the woods until they get the hang of it.

If you hunt big woods, like some of the northern Minnesota tracts, you might want to leave the tree stand at home. Yet, if you are confined to a small woodlot or small tract of land, you might be better off with a tree stand and not risk scaring the deer out of your area by moving around.

You will be participating in a great Minnesota tradition, "the opener" of rifle season. You will find that "blaze orange" (required for firearms deer season) is in fashion in most Minnesota small towns at this time of year.

Enjoy yourself and Good luck!