Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures for Wendell
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
I was talking to Wendell Reich the other day about how a dominant buck will insult another with the snort-wheeze. I tried to email him a few pictures of a couple of bucks I saw have that kind of discussion last season but I don't think they went through. I thought I would post them here. I did not get the actual snort-wheeze picture due to the time lag of the digital but you can get the idea from the body language.

I hope to get some better pictures next season as I have a newer digital now.

Dominant buck:

Big double chin on him:

Lesser buck:

Face off:

Not much of a zoom on the old digital but you can maybe get the idea.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your dominate buck needs to be culled from the herd. Is he an eight pointer?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where were these pictures taken? At first I thought South Texas because of the brush but there appear to be too many rocks. Maybe around Laredo or West Texas.

That first buck looks bigger than he probably really is because I'm sure his hair is bristled up if he's eyeing another buck. When I first saw the picture I thought that was a 300lb buck!!

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Your dominate buck needs to be culled from the herd. Is he an eight pointer?

He was a on the decline and looked to have been a ten before. We can only cull sevens and smaller, and at that point in the season I was looking for a better-scoring deer. I would have taken him later in the season but did not get another opportunity.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
Where were these pictures taken? At first I thought South Texas because of the brush but there appear to be too many rocks. Maybe around Laredo or West Texas.

That first buck looks bigger than he probably really is because I'm sure his hair is bristled up if he's eyeing another buck. When I first saw the picture I thought that was a 300lb buck!!

The ranch is just outside Asherton in Dimmit county, not far from Carrizo Springs.

He is one of the biggest-bodied deer I have seen down there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know exactly where Asherton is...not much there.

Posts: 470 | Location: Texas/NYC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rattlesnaker:
I know exactly where Asherton is...not much there.

As a friend of mine who grew up in Laredo says, "A gas station and a few dead palm trees."

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the palm trees and gas station are in Catarina. Asherton is a booming metropolitan area of a couple of hundred people.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I think the palm trees and gas station are in Catarina. Asherton is a booming metropolitan area of a couple of hundred people.

I won't dispute that Catarina is smaller, but they do have a steakhouse (although it was not open the one time I tried to eat there). Asherton does have a VFW hall in addition to the gas station. I still go into Carrizo Springs when I need something since the Asherton Food and Gas is usually out of whatever I need. The bacon cheeseburger with onion rings at the Balia on the highway into Carrizo is one of my favorite lunches.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 134 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charles, not sure why they never came through on e-mail ...

That is one stocky buck.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
That is one stocky buck.

Yes, I thought the smaller eight looked fairly big in the body until that one showed up.