THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Just got back from Hog sticking adventure!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just got back from Hog sticking adventure!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted
I don't usually post about my own hunts, but this was one of the most exciting hunts I've ever done. I was hunting hogs in the Texas Hill Country on a 7,000 acre ranch. We hunted them behind a pack of dogs, who would search for fresh scent then follow until they bayed the hog. Once we caught up to them ,we would turn loose Flounder, the ferocious Pit Bull, who would catch them. Once the dogs had them under control, I would kill the pig with a big knife. It's like a massive free for all, with dogs barking, pigs squeeling, and dogs flying everywhere. I highly recommend it for you adrenalin junkies.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Greg,
If you enjoy hunting boars that way you must visit Argentina or Uruguay, here it's like a national sport.

Share pictures and stories, don't be shy [Big Grin]
Congrats for your hunt.
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
You don't have to go all the way to South America. Just hop a flight to Hawaii. The locals hunt with dogs and big knives all the time, and it's only 20 minutes from Waikiki, 10min from Honolulu.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
It will be a while on the pics because I take slides. My local guy sends them off so it takes a week or 2 to get them back (along with a disk so I can post them).

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like another monster has been created [Big Grin] If you like action this sport is the ticket. Just make sure your dog man uses good cut collars and vests - I've seen too many dogs injured or killed. For another thrill, leave the knife at home and go ahead and tie the hog up....

Oh, BTW Greg, do you have any more of those bison hunts left?

[ 03-28-2003, 03:27: Message edited by: Eric Ansgar ]

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've heard and read about this type of Pig-hunt, that's got to be INTENSE! [Eek!]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kiwis seem to be into this way of "hunting" pigs as well. But, hey (you may say) the Kiwis are slightly strange anyway [Big Grin]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Eric,

Yes, I have some Bison left. If you aren't already on my mailing list, e-mail your address to ggrod@msn.com because the new newsletter is going out Monday and it has some info on the Bison hunts in it.

The landowners want the hogs dead! The don't get tied up. He has so many traps that if someone wants pigs, he just sells them from his traps. He had about 30 at his house the other day, so no need to mess with tying them. Besides, the way these pigs look after the dogs start on them I doubt they would survive long anyway.