Find
Notify
Tools

Panther found in Louisiana
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted
So finally a State Biologist has conclusive evidence that Cougars/Panthers are in Louisiana. This dumbass couldn't tell it was a cat until he was right on it. Funny how everyone who ever claimed a sighting is crazy if they don't have a credential pasted behind their name.

Lafayette Louisiana

So much for the "Extinct" documentation that has been so heavily promoted over the years.

Panthers are Extinct

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I have a relative that swears she has seen two in north Louisiana. She said one of them ran out in front of her car one night and stopped before entering the woods. She said she thought it was a black dog until it stopped and looked at her car, "it was a big cat w/ a long tail" is what she claimed.

Now I haven't seen a big black cat in that area but, we definitely have cougars or panthers. I've heard them scream like a woman at night. Very eerie sound while walking back to the truck after a hunt. Don't really know what kind of cats they are. I've heard the Mountain Lions scream that way.

Lots of folks don't believe in them but, there sure has been alot of sightings around here.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloader,

the "womans scream" is a Bob Cat.... the cougar panther sound is unforgettable... you will know it when you hear it

I don't doubt there are big cats in your neck of the woods.

Just like they said there is no big cats in PA... yet people have seen them...

I have read dozens of books by hero's and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles!

Posts: 104 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend and I were enroute home after getting off the evening shift several years ago. We saw a large cat with a long tail cross the road in front of us but, didn't tell many people because of the belief factor. This happened in North La. and we couldn't tell if it was black or not because it was dark and a thunderstorm was brewing.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh God, here we go again with the black panther sightings bullshit. Why do you want to make an ass out of yourself on a public forum?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ric,

We have lots of Bobcats around here. It's even legal to shoot one during deer season. We used to hunt them at night w/ dogs. The Bob cats I've heard were more of a hissing noise. Those Blood curldling screams we've heard are very loud, much louder than the Bob Cats.

We do have the big cats around here and in Arkansas, the ones I'm not sure of are the "Big Black Cats".

The Fish and Game Department says that the Big Cats have a very large roaming area and that the cats seen around here are probably just passing through.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the "Lady screaming" as you descibed is not a mtn lion....or panther... they have more of a growl ...

the big cats tend to roam and will pass through an area about every 5-7 days....

blk cats.. possible.. sure... hard to see though... if you do have them.. the authorities surly won't tell until they have too....

I have read dozens of books by hero's and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles!

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
There's 43 million dollars worth of game cameras from Shreveport to the Mississippi River and from the Arkansas line south to Alexandria. Not one picture of a big cat with a long tail. With that said, there is always tomorrow.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
M16, if you read the link, it verifies the existence of Panthers here. Quit firing from the hip! Up until this year, Panthers were extinct in Louisiana for the last forty years despite numerous sightings during that forty year block.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ric and Blue Tick, There's definitely big cats in this country. Now Black cats, that's a different story.

There is piles of data of Mt Lions in the southern states. I think the "Black Panther" is just like any other animal that's not supposed to be Black. There is Black deer, Black Squirrels, etc., etc.

Alittle of the data for Mt. lions:

quote:

Mountain lions are known by more than 100 names, including panther, catamount, cougar, painter and puma. It's scientific name is Felis concolor, which means "cat of one color." At one time, mountain lions were very common! They lived all over North and South America. Now they are scarcer, although in California they are making quite a come-back. In the US today they can be found in the western states, southern Texas, and Louisiana and Arkansas.
There are a few lions left in Florida, maybe 30 or 40 adults. The Florida mountain lion is called the Florida panther. This is the rarest type of mountain lion. It's also the rarest large mammal in North America. There is a picture of him on some of Florida's license plates.

A mountain lion was seen recently across the road from our church, Calvary Chapel Monterey Bay! Christina, our church secretary, saw it as she was leaving the property one night. Exciting, huh!

The large cats of the world are divided into two groups- those that roar, like tigers and African lions, and those that purr. Mountain lions purr, hiss, scream, and snarl, but they cannot roar.

A full-grown male mountain lion may be 9 feet long, including his tail!

They can jump a distance of 30 feet, and jump as high as 15 feet. It would take quite a fence to keep a mountain lion out!

Their favorite food is deer, but they'll eat other critters as well. They hunt alone, not in packs like wolves. They sneak up on their prey just like a house cat sneaks up on a bird or toy- one slow step at a time. A lion can eat ten pounds of meat at one time! That's equivalent to 40 quarter-pounder hamburgers!

They have orange noses.

quote:
Mountain Lion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also known as
Cougar, puma, catamount, Florida panther, panther, painter, lion, Mexican lion, mountain demon, mountain devil, mountain screamer, brown tiger, red tiger, deer killer, Indian devil, purple feather (?!), king cat, sneak cat, and varmint (Kitchner 1991).
What is the scientific name?
Felis concolor
Pronounced FEE-lis CON-color
What does it mean? "One-color cat." Felis is the Latin word for "cat." Concolor is Latin for "of the same color." This is in reference to the fact that the mountain lion does not have any conspicuous markings and is, more or less, all one color.
Where are they located? How many subspecies are there?
Mountain lions are found almost exclusively in the west, although they once were found all over the United States. They range from British Columbia and southern Alberta south to western Wyoming, California and west Texas. They are also found in south Texas, Louisiana, south Alabama, Tennessee and south Florida (Whitaker 1980). There are 30 subspecies of mountain lion and 13 of them exist in North America, north of Mexico. They are: F.c. couguar, F.c. missoulensis, F.c. hippolestes, F.c. vancouverensis, F.c. olympus, F.c. californica, F.c. kaibabensis, F.c. browni, F.c. improcera, F.c. azteca, F.c. stanleyana, F.c. coryi. F.c. oregonensis occurs in Oregon (Hall 1991).
Where do they live?
The mountain lion's natural habitat is quite diverse. It can live in forests, swamps, grasslands, and even dry brushy country. Their territory is limited only by adequate shelter and an abundance of their favorite prey, deer (Nowak 1991; Dixon 1982).
What do they look like?
Large and slender with a long tail. The color of the fur ranges from a slate gray to a reddish brown. The undersides and lower lip are whitish. The back of the ears and tip of the tail are blackish.
How big are they?
Males average a length of 7½ feet and females average about 6½ feet (Dixon 1982). Males weigh between 121 and 200 pounds, females between 74 and 176 pounds (Currier 1983; Dixon 1982).
How long do they live?
Uncertain. Captive mountain lions have lived to be over 20 years old (Nowak 1991).
What do they eat?
Almost exclusively deer. Three items make up between 86 to 100% of the mountain lion's diet: Deer, porcupines, and grass. Other animals eaten are elk, skunks, beavers, and rabbits (Dixon 1982).
Interesting notes: The mountain lion once had the greatest natural distribution of all the mammals in the Western Hemisphere, excepting humans. They were found from northern Canada down to southern Chile and from coast to coast (Nowak 1991). Mountain lions are solitary animals, coming into contact with one another usually only during the breeding season. For this reason they require isolated or relatively undisturbed wilderness for survival. It is this requirement, unfortunately, that have led mountain lions to disappear from their original habitat. As humans have spread and developed wilderness areas, mountain lions have sought refuge in the mountains. They are so solitary that even when they mate the union only lasts a few days (Currier 1983; Whitaker, 1981).

Mountain lions have the ability to jump up to 18 to 20 feet from the ground to a tree limb or rock ledge (Nowak 1991; Whitaker 1980). They are also fairly good swimmers, but like most cats, would rather stay out of the water (Nowak 1991).

It is estimated that mountain lions require anywhere from one deer every 16 days, for a single adult, to one deer every three days for a female with large cubs (Nowak 1991). While porcupines make up a good proportion of the mountain lion's diet, it is not known why they take chances with these dangerous little pincushions (Dixon 1982).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last updated October 16, 2001
Back to Wildlife of the Rogue Valley Home Page
Copyright 2001, by Jim Rible

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Perforator, my comment was not directed at you. I read the link and don't have a problem with it. My comment was directed to the "black panther" kooks that are starting to come out of the woodwork.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
m16 are you saying there is absolutly, without question no chance there is a black cat in the SE??

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have numerous reports every year in georgia,but no road Kills or anything,i know a couple were shot in south/middle eastern ga. that had followed rivers up from florida.i personally know a deer hunter that said he saw one in his front yard under a light from a distance of 30yrds.He saw it plain as day and i believe him when he tells the story.He said it look to weigh 90#.He called game & fish and they laughed at him.He is close to a river also.There is a wilderness area behind his home thats got a 25 square mile area that doesnt have roads,houses,etc. on it.its big deep woods that has never been developed.Also a game wardon saw one in the cohutta wilderness here and made a report and it was in the georgia sportsman magazine.Cohutta wma only has 95,000 acres!I tell you one thing,if a game wardon tells me he saw a puma,I would think he would know the difference in a puma and a deer or someother critter,I would believe him!Why dont the game & fish help the florida panther out and release some, some where else so they will not be beat down so bad in numbers?Dang there is only like 100 of them left?Couldnt some be released in cohutta or some river swamp systems?Have they allready?I did see one roadkilled on the side of the road on the alabama/florida line that had a collar and i did report where it was to florida game & fish.They said they would find it with the collar signal-not to worry.the area were the cat was seen was on a river with the thicketest swamps i have ever seen.It was on the alabama side of the bridge!Awsome animals!!Where else could one make a living at?carolinas?

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What I am saying is that there is a 99.9% chance that there are no black panthers other than the ones in Florida in the SE. Anything is possible but show me the proof. I don't doubt that people trully believe they have seen one but they are wrong. Your mind will play tricks on you. Ever experience ground shrinkage on a deer when the monster buck turns into a forkhorn. Amazing how many people shot the wrong deer. Yeah right! Has anybody missed a little buck? Oh no it was a monster. We have the same Bubba's where I live that see black panthers. So far none have been photographed or shot. People have every right to believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Ferry, and black panthers. Just don't try that crap with me unless you have the proof. I a'int buying it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.. let me leave you with this thought..

They told us the wolves were needed in the park...
They told us they would never leave the park....
They told us they would never attack domestic animals ....

anything is possible I guess...

one of us
posted Hide Post
They have found jaguare in arizona recently.Everyone i talked to that have claimed to see puma,said they did not want to shoot the pumas,they had guns and could easy,.I would feel the same way.Long may they run.......

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
In 1986, I saw a dark colored long tail cat, in broad daylight. It was crossing a national forest service road in southern Walker Co., Texas. This was no house cat or bobcat. As it crossed the road I got a good look at it's size. The road was/is a single lane road, it's nose was on one side of the road and it's tail was at the other. Nose to tail lenght was around six feet.

This has been my only sighting of such an animal.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My theory is that folks are seeing these big cats,most are from a pet type thing,just like the tiger on the news now.We all know it isnt native ,but it is there just the same.someone has let the animal loose,maybe just to give it its freedom?I dont think there are hundreds out there or something.Wasnt there a tiger loose in florida the other week,i think it belonged to tarzan or something and was hes personal putty tat.If you had seen that tiger in the woods deer hunting no one would believe you.kudzo is a exotic that should not be here but is everywhere.English sparrows?Russian boar,I think there is black buck & axis deer in texas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the rednecks are awakening from their drunken stupor and as I predicted are coming out of the woodwork.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
So finally a State Biologist has conclusive evidence that Cougars/Panthers are in Louisiana. This dumbass couldn't tell it was a cat until he was right on it. Funny how everyone who ever claimed a sighting is crazy if they don't have a credential pasted behind their name.

If this one proves out as indigenous (or migratory) as it looks like it well may, I will owe you an apology for my earlier comments to you on it. It's not a black one but, for Louisiana, it's close enough for Gov't work.

Sure would like to know more about the DNA part of the scat, e.g., was it female, of breeding age, etc.? Interesting for sure.

Thanks for the post.

Lafayette Louisiana

So much for the "Extinct" documentation that has been so heavily promoted over the years.

Panthers are Extinct

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
Ah yes, the rednecks are awakening from their drunken stupor and as I predicted are coming out of the woodwork.

M16 = troll

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Food for thought:
A state DNR confirms cougars.Wacko-environmentalists file suit under Endangered Species Act to protect them.Any and all activities (read:hunting) that can possibly impact said endangered specie can be suspended until such time as an Environmental Impact Statement can be prepared (years) regarding said activities. That's why they say evidence is inconclusive or cougar is anescaped pet,etc.And that is from an unnamed big game biologist from a state with LOTS of "unsubstantiated" sightings.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "black mountain lion" question has been discussed here not too long ago . There is no such thing as a black mountain lion HOWEVER in TX and LA there is a JACARUNDI which is black !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
shame There are no known jaguarundi in Louisiana and there are very few if any in the southern portion of Texas. Slightly larger than a domestic cat. They are not six feet long and would not stretch across a road. Again, bullshit no black panthers.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/nature/endang/animals/jag.htm

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perforator:
So finally a State Biologist has conclusive evidence that Cougars/Panthers are in Louisiana. This dumbass couldn't tell it was a cat until he was right on it. Funny how everyone who ever claimed a sighting is crazy if they don't have a credential pasted behind their name...
Hey Perforator, I've not seen any more since the last one I saw in SC, but I've not been there in awhile.

Kind of glad to see that a few other folks are beginning to see them as well.

On the other hand, anyone who can sit off in another part of the world and tell "me" what I've seen or not seen is truely amazing. I guess they really believe they have some kind of "ESP". Then to brand all people who have seen a Black Panther as liers speaks volumes for the fools character.

---

Probability that I saw a SC Black Panther = 100%.
Probability that I care if anyone else chooses to believe it = 0%.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M16... can I ask how you know so much and how you are so sure you are right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The question of colour in various species is a hotly debated one and there is general acceptance among wildlife scientists that colour variations exist in almost every species. Here in B.C., we have white Moose, piebald Moose, white Black Bears and Grizzlies of an very wide variety of coat colours.

In an area where there exists a small, genetically isolated population of Felis Concolor, for example, I would actually expect a greater instance of "melanism" due to the potentially larger percentage of the gene form, the "allele" that produces such variation in a population of this sort. Given the dark, swampy and extremely thickly vegetated nature of the habitat in Louisiana, which would tend to favour the survival of darker predatory life forms, the presence and successful survival of a very dark Cougar would not surprise me.

In nearly 50 yrs of pretty intense wilderness experience in western Canada, I have seen many anomalies where living organisms are concerned and I do not discount the comments made by local "rednecks" about wildlife issues; many of these people are just as observant and intelligent as those among us who have attended university. I might add that "drunken stupor" is a condition frequently found in the sacred halls of academe and among professionals in environmental management, it is not exclusive to "rednecks" as any B.C. forestry worker can attest from personal experience!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I know I have seen many Black Panthers,if I remember correctly it was in NY city,at some rally I think Roll Eyes

Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then to brand all people who have seen a Black Panther as liers speaks volumes for the fools character.

I didn't call you a liar. I do believe you really think you have seen a black panther. You are simply mistaken. I don't see how you saw something that doesn't exist. Show me the proof.

Ric........It's very easy. I go by statistics on something like this. Since there is no such animal then until somebody comes up with one I choose to believe they do not exist. Is it possible for a mountain lion to show up in Louisiana? Of course. Very slim odds but entirely possbile. So lets take those very slim odds and combine them with the mountain lion that showed up being black and you have better odds winning the lotto. How many black color phase mountain lions have been killed or photographed. I personally have never seen one. Once again show me the proof.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
M16,

If you want to see a dark color phased long tail cat, go to "The Potato Patch" restaurant on FM1960. It is on the northside of Houston. The place has a full body mounted it is a very dark brown color.

As for your "knowing" who/what I am. You do not no a damn thing about me. You called me a drunken redneck. I am neither, a drunk or a redneck. Not everybody that gets a university degree (which I have),lives in one of the urban jungles.

Hog Killer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I am going to be the laughing stock of the forum but I really don't care but here is what happended to me this year that changed my life in more ways then one. I live 3 miles west of Climax Minnesota on the North Dakota side along the Red River. A school teacher spotted a large black cat in June of 2004 in the town of Climax when she was mowing the grass behind the school. She looked over and in the tall grass there was a larger cat about 20 feet away from what she says. She drove the riding mower as fast as she could to the school then called the Sheriff. After she made the call she looked out the window and saw the cat walking accross the field twords the east. The time the Sheriff got there the cat was gone but he found tracks in the mud in the field so he called the MN DNR. The DNR came out and took molds of the tracks and said it was for sure a larger cat probably a MT Lion. I asked my neighbor who the lady was that saw the cat and he said she was a very religious person who would not lie about what she saw. Plus we now have tracks that the DNR says are from a large cat. There has been 5 to 6 other sightings of this large black cat over the last 2 years in this area. Now here is what I know. This post is going to be long but I think you need all the facts so you can make up your own mind if you believe me or not. In December of 2003 I was out in my yard and I heard what I first thought was a lady screaming. At first I thought I was just hearing things and went back to picking up some garbage when I heard it again and it was real loud. My cats were in the yard they all took off twords the shed and hid like the devil himself was comming and the dog started going nuts. I brought the dog in the house and grabbed my 220 Swift and my flash light and went back outside. The wife had also heard the screaming from inside the house and she came out on the deck as I proceded twords the sound on the river bottom. The snow was deep and was really hard so I sounded like a Elephant walking so I knew what was making the sound could hear me. I made it about 100 yards from the house and when I stopped to listen I could hear something walking twords me. I had my rifle ready and it came with in probably what sounded like 50 to 60 yards of me then stopped. I sat there for a little bit then something told me to get out of the woods and go back in the yard. Now here is were it gets a little freaky. I would walk a few feet and stop and the thing behind me would walk but still keep its distance so I could not see it through the brush. It did this all the way back to the yard. I truely belive it was stalking me and at that point the 220 Swift seemed to damn small and I have never felt like that before. After I made it to the yard I stood there and I could here it slowly trying to circle around me down on the river bottom. I sat there for awhile but it could not circle me without leaving the river bottom so I was waiting for it to come up in the field next to my house and it was going to be lights out for it but the thing never came. Now this all happend before I even new a thing about the "Black Cat" in the area as I just moved there in Oct of that year. So you can imagine my surprise when I heard about the Black Cat. Now here is the best part and it is going to be long but I think some of you need to here it. This Last Oct of 2004 I went bow hunting 2 miles north of my house in the Morning. I got in my stand around 5:45 am. I sat until about 9:30am and did not see a damn thing. I decided to get down from my stand and I was just below a Soy bean field on the river bottom. I was going to go walk up a trail and look for a new place to hang a stand for my buddy when it happend. I dont think I will every forget what happend even if I lose my mind. I walked about 20 yards from my stand when a Large Black Cat jumped about 7 to 8 ft straight up in a tree and looked right at me not 25 ft from me. He was hiding in the tall grass on the ridge and if I would have kept walking I would have walked right over him. I still had all my camo on and I even had my face mask on so he just sat there and looked at me like he didnt know what the hell I was. He just sat there in the tree. I was so shocked I could not speak or move I just stared into those dark eyes of his. After what was probably only 30 seconds but seemed like days I said to myself Knock a arrow and shoot it. When I went to grab an arrow out of my quiver the cat jumped to the ground and ran to another tree and jumped striaght up again about 8 feet or so. I just got my arrow on my string put my release on the string pulled my bow back and as soon as I got the pin on him he jumped to the ground and I watched him run along the river bottom for about 40 yards maybe more than he was gone. Now for the details on what he looked like. He was about as tall as a coyote or small lab probably about 2 ft to the top of the back. The tail was like a rope probably 3 ft in length. The eyes were black as coal and so was the rest of him and the hair was short. I would say it probably was over 80lbs and its face was shaped like a cougar. There is now doubt in my mind it was a large black cat. If it was a cougar with a black color phase or a black Panther I don't know but I do know that I really do not like walking to and from my stands anymore. When I am not bow hunting and I am just in the woods fishing or putting up stands or what ever I always have the pistol or rifle with. I would like to add this to this already super long post. 2 years ago 8 miles north of where I live a Sheriff video taped a MT Lion from his car crossing the Highway in front of him. That video was on the news. So there has been large cats seen in the area mine just happened to be black as night.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
If I'm in the woods and have the ability, I am going to smoke a "Black Panther" if the opportunity ever arises. After all, if they don't exist it can't be against the law can it? The only way this topic will ever be put to bed is with a carcass. Anyone out there care to speculate that if one does kill a "Black Panther", you will need some serious legal defense?

One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting thread, in more ways than one. I hunt around Mason, the northern part of the Texas hill country. For the last five years, we've been seeing at least one mountain lion. I say "at least one" because, this past season, one of the guys saw a black one. I tend to believe him more that someone who states definitely that they don't exist.

We also have a number of bobcats on our lease and I have seen them with colorations from a light tan to a chocolate brown, with and without spots. I believe the Houston zoo used to have (maybe still has - it's been a while) a black leopard. Why is it so hard to acknowledge the possible existence of a black mountain lion?

I have no trouble believing that mountain lions from Texas, possibly Florida, or just the survivors of an earlier popualation, have migrated into northern Louisiana. There's lots of wild country between here and there.

If someone says they saw a black cat, maybe it was just the lighting, and maybe they saw a black cat.

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, Hey M16, I am definately not a "Red Neck". But, yes, here it comes. We lived for 10 yrs in N Louisiana. My wife had been shopping in Magnolia Ark. returning home about 30 minutes after dark. She said she had seen something crossing the road in front of the car just as she crossed the state line on Hiway 79. She described the animal as follows, 1. Black in color. 2. Long thick tail, built like a house cat but MUCH larger. Now, since my wife is not prone to BS. When I showed her a picture of a mountain lion, she confirmed that she had seen such an animal, but black. Believe what you want...I personally don't give a crap, but I know of other sightings and similar experiences from "standup individuals". One in particular to this day, will not hunt that part of Dorchet Bayou.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey this thread is really getting good. jump What did I tell you about them crawling out of the woodwork? So many sightings but not a picture or a carcass. Show me the proof. But feel free to make a fool of yourself. The "sightings" are hilarious. What other subject can you think of where otherwise sane people actually believe this stuff. I can't wait till one of the outfitters here start
offering "BLACK PANTHER HUNTS." "No Kill-No Pay" jump

By the way 475/480 gets a beer for his sighting of a black panther in NYC. Unfortunately that is the two legged variety. Close but no cigar.

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
The lady in the article was quoted as saying that she thought it was a Bobcat with a tail. This is a male Bobcat that I killed this deer season. He was 32-1/2" long from the nose to the base of the tail and weighed 25.6lbs.

It is hard to believe that a cat around a 100lbs. and colored differently can be considered a Bobcat.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
there are no black panthers other than the ones in Florida in the SE.

M16,

Where are abouts are these in FLA again?? Or are you talking about the endangered FLA panther?? -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are abouts are these in FLA again?? Or are you talking about the endangered FLA panther?? -TONY

The endangered Florida panther

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
M16,

Oh, like this one? Note they're not black. They look just like most mountain lions. Wink I took this photo and several others on the Seminole Reservation in Fla. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Tony what can I say. I thought that they were black in color. Learn something new every day. I should have known as only leopards and jaguars are melanistic. So that means there a'int a snowballs chance in hell that anybody has seen a black panther. Big Grin