Find
Notify
Tools

Thermacell question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
leaving for bear hunting in Maine in about a week, and I'm told the biting gnats are terrible this year... I really would rather not use a greasy insect repellent, so my question is, will the bears smell the thermacell? Anyone have any experience with them?

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been bear hunting with a Thermacell for almost 10 years now and I wouldn't be without it. Not sure if they can smell it or not but they don't seem to pay any attention to it if they do. You won't be sorry you have it with you. Sure makes the hunting more pleasant.

Good luck

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken deer at 15 paces with bow while Thermacell in use.
I use it anywhere there may be mosqitoes biting flies or gnats. It flat works for me.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
they work great, always carry one these days. If they can smell the thermacell, they can smell you too!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know guys that have used them when hog hunting on stand and shot hogs within 10-15 yards. I'm sure that it smells better than the greasy stuff. BTW OFF makes a Deep Woods version now that is dry.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take two Thermacells. You won't regret it.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of shoulderman
posted Hide Post
shot 2 alberta black bears on different trips with thermocell. bug free. also use it in the swamps of north carolina for pigs and deer with a bow. It is heated so it rises. have never been busted with a bow because of the thermocell that I am aware of

Kodiak 2022
Namibia 2019
Namibia 2018
South Africa 2017
Alaska Brown Bear 2016
South Africa, 2016
Zimbabwe 2014
South Africa 2013
Australia 2011
Alberta 2009
Namibia 2007
Alberta 2006

Posts: 236 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 17 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jriley
posted Hide Post
My son and I shot two big hogs in GA this summer out of a ground blind over a period of a few days. There were so many bugs I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes without the Thermacell.
I have also killed a bear in Canada while using it with no problems. Use it with confidence.