THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    DWR having to kill bigorn sheep in utah

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DWR having to kill bigorn sheep in utah
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Not sure if been reported but this really sucks.

Disease forces DWR to kill bighorn sheep

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
THAT'S THE SHITSthumbdown last fall I saw a group of sheep right off the road in that area feeding

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Might had been best to have allowed some emergency tags to sheep hunters looking for their grand slam and had them accompany DWR reps in there to shoot any trophies. At least the state might have been able to recoup some of their costs, don't you think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree completely, the state is crying that they are going to loose over $100K, you would think that they could sell all of the rams, and even the ewes.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
This is so STUPID! There are tons of people out there who would love to shoot those rams and would pay to do it, including the ewes! The animals are going to be killed one way or another, why not let someone shoot them who has been trying forever to draw a tag?! If you posted online, "25 Bighorn sheep must be culled immediately due to detrimental disease. Open to hunters, $1000 for a ewe, $5000 for a ram," I bet before the close of the next business day you would have every sheep accounted for by a hunter.

Government Frowner ... bunch of idiots ...

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just spent a ton of money for a conservation tag for a desert big horn in Utah. I hate to admit it but I have no idea where. I hope this isn't the same area.

Posts: 12023 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I drew a tag to shoot a desert mulie in W Texas on a State wildlife area; I think Sierra Blanca?? I was poor twenty year old, not long out of college. They had quite a few desert bighorns on this reserve. While I was there one of the rams died while in a pen. The official was going to bury it while I was there. I pleaded with the game manager to let me cape it and take the horns. I told him he was crazy to bury the trophy. I could sell it to some jellybean in Highland Park for at least $10K. I told him the state could sell it for a tidy sum.
They buried it none the less. It was close to a full curl ram.
I thought about digging it up and hauling ass. I was poor in those days. However between 22 & 27 I hunted, drank beer and chased women. Those were the days!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I just spent a ton of money for a conservation tag for a desert big horn in Utah. I hate to admit it but I have no idea where. I hope this isn't the same area.

Larry, the area effected is in the North East corner of Utah. The San Rafael area (which I think is the Unit you purchases) is south from there about 120 miles. Here is a good link to the utah boundary maps
http://wildlife.utah.gov/mapsB.../list_boundaries.php