New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are any of you guys long hunters too or use to be?A longhunter is someone who has hunted for years and never taken a game animal like they are looking for or would love to take,like a 10-point buck in my case.I have hunted for years and shot 8point, 9point,but no 10-point buck.I see these first timers go out and shoot a monster there first try!It took me years before i ever took a deer with a muzzle loader also.My poor old brother in law hunted every year for like 15 yrs.before he took a deer with a bow!He was a long hunter for sure.And i have fished my whole life and never taken a bass over 7#.Some folks are luckier than others i guess or i just cant make the connection.Anyway its fun just the same!maybe one day i will find me a big old buck with tines going every which a way,you know like that hartford elk!!!!!Cheers beer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, I am. I've been hunting since 1970 and still no Yeti.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a problem with Elk or antelope, but the only big deer I see are either out of season/on private land I don't have permission to hunt/ 150 yds away when I'm on a bowhunt when they spot me etc.

So I just have a dose of bad luck with deer. Thats OK in a way as I like to eat elk and antelope more than deer anyway.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another dream buck i never shot with my jink is a buck that will score at least 150B&C bawling.Man those dudes are hard to come by!I did meet a fellow hunter one time that had shot a 169 B&C buck and had just barely missed the record book!If i ever get one that big i will mount the whole deer no matter what it cost!What a dream deer!I would go back and hunt that same stand at least once every year after that just to remeber that hunt and the sight of a buck like that running in my crosshairs!I guess it isnt the same though when you just go out first try and get a bigun like that............... wave

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was this guy that never killed a deer in 15 years who was a member of a huge hunting club my family used to belong to. The club was thousands of acres and they used dogs. It was strictly shotgun. Well one morning 50 hunters went out. 49 came back with deer. Guess who didn't get one?

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My jinx has been elk of any sex, bull or cow. For 26 years, I've been trying and no elk yet. My first year, I shot a young bull, spike on one side and fork on the other. At the bullet's strike, he made a huge lunge forward into some brush. On the other side of that brush was gorge about 500 feet or more deep and we could find no way down.
Three years ago, I shot a cow elk and tagged it. Went back to the truck which was about a mile away to get my wife to help me gut het. When we got to where my elk was supposed to be, just a gut pile, my tag all toen up and two sons of bitches on ATVs about a mile away going as fast as they could, each carrying half my elk on their vehicles. Tried to find a game warden to see if I could get another tag and report the theft. Not a one to be found. Any other time, that area crawls with them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

That's real shitty, but they will get what's coming to them.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fjold
I just spit whiskey all over the computer. LMAO

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote