New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you wear and why?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My hunting clothes are more function than form. I don't avoid camo clothing and actually have a good amount due to the design features like deep pockets. Also, cheap prices during the end-of-season close-outs make hunting clothes a bargain which is nice considering the abuse they take.

I don't put alot of stock into camo "patterns". I do, however, think the standard issue G.I. Desert Camo is a decent outer layer because it's durable and light in color which is a plus when I'm in the grass/corn/sand, etc. and don't want to stick out like a big black dot. [Big Grin] I rarely "spot and stalk" and once I'm up in a tree or settled into a ground spot, I don't care much about camo. I have lots of deer look right at my shiny silver Cannon video camera and not give it a second thought(as long as I keep still) so I doubt they can tell the difference between Realtree Hardwoods and MossyOak [Big Grin] . Besides scent and movement, about the only thing that I've seen really spook 'em is face/eye contact when they're starin' me down at close range(I'm probably uglier than most [Big Grin] ) so face nets/bandanas and squinting/avoiding eye contact make sense to me. The big one is still movement and I've been busted moving in Camo more times than without. I must subcontiously make more of an effort to limit movement when I'm not camo-clad which probably helps me stay concealed.

If anything, I think texture is a bigger consideration than a camo-pattern. Depending on where I'm sitting, a light/dark sweatshirt turned inside-out works just fine for concealment and doesn't produce the "sheen" that many smooth materials exhibit(including camo) when hit with sunlight. One of my favorite materials is Saddle Cloth because it's quiet, doesn't pick up burrs/seeds and seems to do a decent job absorbing light.

The criteria I use is generally:

1. Water resistance/warmth
2. Weight/breathability when I'm on the move
3. Type/location of pockets, zippers, etc.
4. Noise level/texture of material.
5. Durability/Cost
6. Color

How about you?

[ 12-01-2003, 08:31: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
Nebraska, Ditto everything you said. For deer I find that scent control, limited slow movement, and concealing the face are key regardless of what I am wearing.

Now for Turkey and Coyotes I go all out with the camo cause they seem to be able to spot me before quick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually wear my Big Red Husker clothes since there's always a football game on opening day...for some reason in the last few years I've been eaten by Wildcats, pecked by Jayhawks, trampled by Tigers, stampeded by Buffaloes and gored by Longhorns...prior to the "Solich Era" nothing would come near me....

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I am deer hunting I do like to use camo. It is a if all else is equal deal for me. I like a light waterproof and quiet jacket I can hunt in, and take off as the ole sweat begins later in the morning. I usually go with mossy oak, or something with more browns in them than greens. I also think your idea of using military desert camo makes alot of sense, at least in the west as everything tends to be light brown during late fall hunting. A pair of wool socks, and good waterproof with thinsulate boots is a must. I top my head on days where I believe it may get cold with a waterproof, thinsulate baseball style cap that has inner flap for extreame cold weather. I take at least two pairs of gloves along, one light pair, and a heavier pair. Daypack has survival equipment, and cloth bags, rope, etc in case I need to take care of a deer far from the vehicle, etc. Unless the weather is really cold, I wear ultra lightweight longjohns.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wear Advantage Timber cammo primarily because that's what I got last Christmas! The primary thing that I wore prior to that was my military fatigues (woodland cammo) that I had when I retired from the USAF back in 1989!
On a safety standpoint, I do wear a blaze-orange cap! The way I look at it is, if something happens to me, fall and get hurt, heart attack, etc. the blaze orange will help others to find me before the coyotes do!
Think about it, a hunter in full cammo could be awfully difficult to spot when sprawled out on the ground!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
What I look for most of all is clothing that matches the needs of the local weather at the time. I prefer natural fiber clothing like wool, silk, and cotton.

Hunting Colorado doesn't give much choice. Blaze Orange head gear and jacket/vest are required. After that, all else is just window dressing.

I do like Desert Camo hunting in Coastal Central California. Almost all private land and an Orange cap or shirt is both all you need and a good idea.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On my last deer hunt I wore a pair of Columbia Sportswear Upland brush pants, a camo shirt( either lon sleeve T or Long sleeve Button front. and a brick red, olive green,and beige plaid Shirtjack with a black boonie hat. I hunt CA public land and the season here is early and fairly warm. Most people could get away with a camo shirt and jeans or no camo at all if they followed the no scent no noise rules.

I too like the way the dessert camo blends in much of the deer areas of CA. I also like natural fibers but goretex has it'splace as well.

[ 12-03-2003, 22:52: Message edited by: Dave In LB ]

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
I generally agree with you.
I do have some personal favorites. I never wear a hat with a long bill,because it magnifies any head movement.All of my hunting is in woods,sometimes very dense.I don't wear camo because it is of no use if you move,and is not necessary if you sit still.I never hunt with out an orange hat and/or vest.Before orange,I wore red.
I am interested in the reports of deer spooking at the sight of your face,I never felt that my face scared any deer,unless I moved it.Maybe New York deer are kinder hearted.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote