THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Results-Free-Range Blackbuck Antelope Hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Results-Free-Range Blackbuck Antelope Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
I just got a call from the rancher I guide for on the free-range blackbuck antelope hunts in Camp Wood, TX. He has had some more bucks move onto his ranch and take over does. I will be able to do hunts this Sunday, or either of the next 3 Sundays. This is a one day, 1 on 1 guided hunt on a working, low-fenced, 4100 acre ranch. The cost is only $600-a $100 daily rate and a $500 trophy fee if you take (or wound) an animal. The bucks range from 16" to 20". There are two great 20" bucks out there right now. I have been able to get all of my hunters on bucks.....it may take 12 hours, but I should be able to get you on a nice buck. The shots range from 150 to 300 yards, so please practice and make sure you are sighted in. I will post some photo's from previous hunts on this ranch with the different size animals.

Bob
This is a 20" buck
 -
This is a 17 1/2" buck GonHuntin took with a Contender at 156 yards
 -
These are two 16" bucks-they are darker now than when this photo was taken
 -

[ 09-17-2003, 04:43: Message edited by: Bob in TX ]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The rancher called again last night. We are also going to be able to hunt part of his grandfather's old ranch that has not been hunted before. He has seen a 20"+ buck that has moved in there. This is a fun, fair chase hunt...not a game ranch.

Bob C.
bconnell@satx.rr.com

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great opportunity. I just got my blackbuck back from the taxidermist a few weeks ago, or I'd be all over it!

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Still some slots the next few Sundays......

Bob

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The 14th is booked, but I can still do a hunt the 7th or the 21st........

Bob

posted Hide Post
Bob,

I wish you were a bit more local! Those blackbucks would make a lovely trophy and the prices seem pretty damn reasonable too..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Pete,

I know, that is a pretty big pond to swim! Maybe you can make the trip down the road!! They are a beautiful trophy.......one of the best of all the antelope.

Good Hunting,

Bob

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well.....I made it back about 11:30 PM Suday night. I left to guide the hunt at 4:00 AM.....it was a long day. I was guiding hunters on my friend's ranch near Camp Wood, TX for free-ranging blackbuck antelope.

The hunt was great! I had two hunters from Houston, David and his wife Lou. We got Lou on a beautiful 18" buck early in the moring and stalked to within 50 yards of it. This is almost impossible to do! We had very good cover to work with. Unfortunatley she had a case of blackbuck fever and missed him. I was able to get David on two bucks during the day-18" and 20". Neither shot connected. After this it started raining.......and I mean, RAINING! We got over 2" in 1 hour!! This is when we decided it would be a great time to take a lunch break. Once things settled back down a bit, Lou took a smaller buck after a great stalk and made a 200 shot! About 7:00 PM, I got David on a very dark 17" buck. He made an exellent shot on it. We hunted a full 12 hours, from 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM. They are a great couple and I really enjoyed hunting with them and getting to meet them. They did an African safari with Vaughan Fulton, the same outfitter and PH that my old calling partner GonHuntin used in Namibia on his safari with his wife.....small world.

We saw at least 8 different shooter bucks, with 3 of them 20"+. I look forward to getting another hunt scheduled up there.

Bob
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Blackbuck is a beautiful trophy. Do their colors vary at all. what's considered a trophy?

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear everyone had a successful hunt. Where do Blackbuck antelope originate from?

[ 09-17-2003, 11:07: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
Where do Blackbuck antelope originate from?

Indian Subcontinent.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
MHO is correct, they came from India. They do vary in color. They get the darker black phase in the fall and winter. Some older bucks can remain dark all year. Blackbucks were introduced to the Edwards Plateau region of Texas in 1930. The last census estimated the population at about 25,000. This is only the free-ranging antelope....not the ones behind high-fences. There are more here now than in their native habitat.

Bob