New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best climbing stands?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at getting a new climbing stand. My primary concern is ease of set up, I want a stand I can put up quickly and in low light. It also must be quiet, I don't want to have to be undoing velcro or other loud fasteners. Weight isn't all that important, I'm young and all my walks in are under a mile.

What are you guys using and liking? Appreciate the input.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Summit

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lone Wolf Sit & Climb. I usually ascend in the dark with just a LED headband light. Pretty quiet unless I realize I left my harness in the jeep...then the cussin' starts.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Jersey/Wyoming | Registered: 24 March 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
API Grand Slam has served me well for the last several years.

Very comfortable and durable. A little heavy to carry too far but it's a trade-off for the comfort.

Posts: 10 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations for Summit, Lone Wolf, and other "name brand" treestands. But you won't get that from me.

I guess I might be different, but I don't like the companies that "everyone" else uses. Hence my use of Forge Bows, Forge Arrows and Slick Trick broadheads.

So when I decided I needed a decent climbing treestand, I decided to do a little research and find a lesser known company that offered quality products.

I found Cougar Claw Treestand Company in Foley, Alabama. All their treestands are made locally, which is very important to me. I always try to buy from U.S. owned companies and keep my money as local as possible.

I decided on the Den II Prowler with Leveling System. The treestand offers a reasonable weight and a good sized platform. It has the most comfortable seat I've ever experienced in a treestand. It sets up easily in the dark and doesn't have any components that can fall off and get lost in the leaves and snow.

It works equally well for bowhunters or rifle and after trying one, I bought another for my cameraman, I like it that much.

Check them out at http://www.cougarclawusa.com

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a summit 180. Can't comment on it yet but looks solid. It will get used this fall.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't use a climber but if I did I think I'd go with the Tree Lounge.It's a bit pricey but being able to shoot in any direction with a rested aim is a huge plus IMO.Not sure if it's still available but they were offering their TL video free for a while.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie P.:
I don't use a climber but if I did I think I'd go with the Tree Lounge.It's a bit pricey but being able to shoot in any direction with a rested aim is a huge plus IMO.Not sure if it's still available but they were offering their TL video free for a while.

While they look comfortable, I know a couple guys that bought them and ended up selling them because they were a pain in the butt to use and were heavy. Out of curiosity, I went to their website and looked at weights. Their regular model weighs 24 pounds, their "bubba" big boy stand weighs 28 pounds. And then there's their ultra-light stand weighing in at a mere 25???

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Summit. Tree lounges are a total PIA.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buckster:
API Grand Slam has served me well for the last several years.

Very comfortable and durable. A little heavy to carry too far but it's a trade-off for the comfort.
+1

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Storms, I'd encourage you to go to one of the Deer Shows in your area(if you can figure out where you are Wink). The ones across the Southeastern USA have all kinds of Climbing Stands represented and you can try them right at the show.

Long ago they used to "Bolt" together. Big Grin Talk about a disaster in the dark. Drop one nut/bolt and you were waiting for daylight(during the very best Prime Time) to re-locate that piece.

I feel sure most all of them now days are held together with "captive" Clevis Pins of some sort, if not think what will happen in the dark when it is miserable cold (50deg or so).

I've had a few Climbers and though the extremely light weight ones carry nice, they rarely sit as well as the ones that are just a bit heavier. The Light ones tend to "loosen" their grip on the Tree easier than a Heavy Stand when you shift your feet or stand up. I also prefer one with a Large Foot Rest area compared to a small one. Generally the 300#-350# folks size Stands have a Larger foot rest. tu2

The Band which goes around the Tree has also been changed over the years so it does "less damage" to the Tree. That is good both from the "Tree Hugger" perspective(if the Foot Rest gets away from you because it is NOT tied securely to the Seat, you will be a Tree Hugger animal) and also because the Tree does not Die from repeated climbing. A good Tree in just the right spot is worth taking care of.

The Seat should be large enough that you can shift your weight(slowly) around in it. Try just sitting in an upright spot without shifting from side to side in your favorite house chair to see how important this is. Having Arm Rests is really a great idea and the weight trade-off is well worth it when you spend a lot of time in the Stand.

You need to be able to use the Climber so you can sit with your Back to the Tree, or your Front to the Tree. The Front to the Tree helps hide you and gives you the chance for a Steady Rest when using a rifle or Handgun. Facing away from the Tree is OK, but you are hanging out in the wide-open where the Deer know just about every Pine Needle on a Tree(maybe a slight exageration, but not much).

The Camo pattern should be such that it blends in well with the Understory as opposed to the Overstory. You will find the occasion where you will want to leave the Stand in the woods/swamp for a few hours or over night. You move it away from the Climbing Tree and cover it with Pine Needles and a few scattered Limbs and Lock it to another tree, so it can not be easily seen. Or, be determined to carry it in and out each time you go.

Try one at a Show and have them attach it to the post so you can see what they go through - if at all possible.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote